• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Camping/Utility Trailer with Wildernest

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
OK... it like giving up a kidney, but its time.

MJ bed with custom tongue (1/8 wall 3x4), lockable tongue box, mounts for a 5 gallon igloo water cooler and a 20lb propane tank (neither included, just mounts). Body on the MJ bed isn't perfect by any means, but you won't cry if you drag it across something... :eyes: Has the old bumper from Planefixer's rig, still electric blue (cut and fold, but I skipped the fold on the MJ bed) -- appropriate it goes for sale as Jeff puts his old girl out to pasture.

I have some TJ flares to cover the wheel wells, but they aren't on just yet... might be by next week and then I'll have to raise the price or something. ;) All bed rails have angle-iron welded on to patch some minor rust and provide a sturdy base for the 'Nest.

Redneck beam trailer axle with electric brakes, spring over on stock MJ leaves with a 2" add-a-leaf. 6 on 5.5 lug pattern with Toyota FZJ-80 wheels, 285/70r16 Destination MT tires, plenty of tread for a trailer. Full-size spare, bald as hell, on an aluminum Mitsubishi rim.

Screw-leveling jacks in front, crappy harbor-freight adjustable jacks in back -- when I camp, I set the back first, and then jack up the fronts until its level, I can show those who are interested.

Wildernest fold-out tent camper -- classic, formerly manufactured in Broomfield, long out of business (I think mine's an '89). The 'Nest has seen some love and alot of use, but it held up in 75 mph winds in utah, its been a gem. Some patches/holes/repairs, but everything works, some TLC would bring it back to glory. Seams were sealed year before last, and some waterproofing spray last season, probably due for another round. Has an angle-iron repair on the hinge side, likely stronger than stock. Also includes, and this is a rarity with these tents, a gear loft, and a "kitchen" accessory -- a mesh panel with a billion (slightly less) pouches for stuff/organizing. I even have an owners manual.

We've been camping in this with our two boys for the better part of 8 years (I think). Probably 100+ nights in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, and a ton of fun. With an air mattress in the bed, the kids have been comfy while mom & dad slept peacefully up in the loft. includes the stock foam mattress plus 4" of memory foam that makes a world of difference.

Licensed and registered as a "built from parts on hand" trailer in CO (plates currently expired). will come with a pintle hitch (I'm keeping my Lock 'n Roll), unless someone motivates me otherwise. Currently has a goofy 7-pin electrical hitch, but I can swap it if need be, or you can. At full price, it will include a 20-ish gallon water tank (new) that I had planned to install where the stock gas tank went, some POR-15 to hit the underside (more than a little surface rust down there), and a can of herculiner for the bed. I'll also include a goofy 1-person "cot" that came with it when I bought it, pictured last, if you like (I think I can find all the pieces...)

$3,000, fairly firm NAXJA price. I might be crazy, but if one of you fellas doesn't want it, I'll find out how crazy with the craigslist crazies... I would consider trade only for a working skidsteer, if you happen to have one :D PM if interested. You KNOW you want it... :scottm:

(never mind the old redneck jacks, they've been replaced)

Bumptiy for the NAXJA folks before I put it up on other forums/boards...

$2500 OBO for NAXJA folks ... listing with the cl crazies this week.

So, this weekend I'll get the TJ flares on it, paint the bumper, do some general clean-up/repair... and post it for $2k here for NAXJA folk. I hate crazies, and least non-friend crazies.

I'd put this on expeditionportal.com. Most of them pay that much for the start of their project.

good thought, Fred. I'll do that next week post-cleanup.

Still got it, and still haven't got serious about cleanup/posting strategies... :eyes:

Holy-old thread ressurection, Batman! Still have it, still for sale. I will give myself some ribbing on the "$3k firm" in the opening post above... nothing like another year to change your mind.

Wildernest by itself - $600;

Whole shootin-match -- $1800.

Its set up in my yard now, for anyone who would like to check it out...

I run a lantern and a coleman stove off of it, and occasionally a tent heater inside when its cold out. See the second to last pic in the original post...

Wildernest topper pending sale.... now to decide what to do with the trailer... :eyes:

'Nest is sold - to a cool crony of Yella's, who didn't even hear about it from Troy. Small world. Speaking of small - trailer looks tiny without its lid...

Back