• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ 2.5 to 4.0 help

mjdavis31

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the engine out already i went to put the 4.0 and trans in together and the thing would not get back far enough to get on the mounts it was late so i just tied it up and called it a night. this morning i went out and looked and my 4.0 xj and it seems the mounts sit farther foward the driver side mounts with the track bar and on my mj i dont theink it did. so my question is if there are holes there to bolt the 4.0 frame mounts to? the mj is an 88' it was 2wd 4 speed. I made it a 4wd 5 speed. are there any other mounting issues anyone knows about. I have searched this site and google. thanks

Not sure about the whole swap but I know you need the frame side mounts. The bolt holes are all there.

There's a lot more to it including the wiring. Do you have an engine side harness for a 4.0?

X2 ^^^

you'll need (in addition to a bunch of other stuff) the 4.0 XJ/MJ frame horns, and also 4.0 motor mounts. The bolt holes are already there in the framerails.

Jeff (see sig......)

edit: see also http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/index.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I wrecked out a 91 4.0 cherokee to do the swap the only thing i forgot (that i know of so far) was the frame mounts the fuel lines back to the tank and the trans mount plate. went to the bone yard and got the mounts and mounted the engine tearing out the harness today.

Back