• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mid 80's ford 6.9l diesel questions

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
I found a mid 80's F-Series truck on the cheap. It's 4x4 and diesel. I need a cheap tow rig, and was wondering how "Gutless" this thing would be towing an XJ, or anything at that. I've read up on some Ford forums and a few people have mentioned if you want a fast truck get a 460. Well, I don't want a fast truck, I want a truck that can tow. I read that a turbo swap is that best bang for your buck mod (makes perfect sense), but that will barley put you near a stock idi 7.3? I dont know. I guess my question is: Would these trucks be worth buying to use as a tow rig?

Dad had one as a "farm" truck for awhile. used it to move things and just as a general junk truck. It was OK, but pretty gutless on the freeway. The 7.3L was not much better. it was adequate, but only just. We now have a '94 Ram with the 6BT and manual and it performs FAR above the others. Got it from a surplus sale. Doesn't get used much but when needed it has not failed and going on 240k....Looks like hell though.....

My buddy has the 4spd 6.9 idi it's an 86 it's got the low end to haul but top end sucks ass...he's running 33s with 4.10s I believe could be the reason....however one thing I can say is DO NOT TURBO IT it can not handle it

My first diesel truck was an 86 6.9l. I hauled 4 quads on a bed mounted platform and towed a 29' late 80's travel trailer with it. It was slow and got horrible fuel milage. I then found a used Banks Sidewinder turbo setup for it. The first thing that happend after the install was it blew a head gasket. I installed new Felpro premium blue head gaskets, surfaced the heads and clamped it all back together with ARP studs. Never had another leak, it towed a lot better also the fuel milage whent from about 9mpg to about 13. I decided I wanted more power so I modified the turbo inlet/outlet got rid of the big dumb Banks air box installed a clamp on filter,boost guage,pyrometer. Then I started turning up the fuel! Also installed turbo injectors out of a 94 7.3l idi turbo. It had plenty of power then. I could out pull and out run my buddy's stock 97 power stroke up to 72mph because I would run out of gear and hit the governor.

Another great thing is you can run used oil as fuel. I use to filter used hydraulic,transmission fluid even motor oil but not from a diesel. I'd mix it with diesel fuel to thin it out depending on if it was summer or winter and run it.

I wish I still had that truck.

I had an old 6.9 dually and boy was she slow! only ran about 70 or so flat out as well! My brother had a 7.3 idi turbo with a stage one pump and injectors on stock boost he ran right next to my powerstroke on a 75hp tune

With a 460 you will probably get 9mpg loaded or unloaded, will pull almost anything. Definitely worth it.

My Dad had a 6.9L E-350 van that he towed a 40' (yes, 40 foot long!) tag-a-long travel trailer to and from the Outer Banks NC to Roanoke VA several times a year.

He blew up 2 trannies, both rebuilt(C6 I believe) before he spent the money on a good unit(B&M) but the engine ALWAYS ran and pulled great! I was amazed at how the van could handle the rolling hills of central VA on VA460 with ease. The van, which was a conversion on top of being a heavy duty van, handled the big trailer with no real issues. He had a stabilizing hitch of course. He bought the van with 162k on it and sold it to a construction company to use as a light tow rig/personal hauler when it was showing 220k on it. It still ran perfect.

I do not remember the towing mpg but it had dual tanks and I do think we had to fill up about 100 miles short of our destination each way. We never towed over 50-55 mph and on a good bit of 460 its 45mph anyway.

Back