• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical fan bearing noise???

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
So, I think my mechanical fan bearing is shot, but wanted to double check on the symptoms before I replace it. The Jeep makes a louder than normal whirring noise when running. The best I can tell, it's coming from the mechanical fan, so I figured it's the bearing. Sound about right?

Also, is this a big deal if it wasn't replaced immediately. Could something really bad happen or is it more of a nuisance with the noise?

If you talking about the fan bearing buried inside the a/c bracket, it's a big deal trying to get one for the older 87-90 models. I had Chysler to nationwide search for my 88'

I haven't taken the belt off yet to spin it by hand. Will probably do so shortly. I was reading over that post, man it seems like there's a lot more to it than I thought. I was under the impression that I could just replace the fan assembly and be done with it. I was going to grab one from the junkyard. So, the only way to fix this is to replace that bracket???

Can I drive it safely like this???

Back