• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud whistle under the hood.. HELP!!

eatsleepoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, my '00 XJ experiences a loud 'whistle' when its cold . i know this sounds like a newb question but i cant figure this out! its only when its cold out like < 45 degrees F ...i have to drive at least a couple miles for it to start getting noticeable...the only way it goes away is bring it back to idle for 20-30 sec. its gone...i can change the pitch of the 'whine' a little with throttle position while driving down the road...its bone stock under the hood besides a cold air intake..has 136k odo... ive pulled over when it has happend and pulled off the cai so its open right to the TB and it doesnt change. its not a pulley or the belt squeel...more like a vacuum whistle...

bad intake manifold gasket perhaps?

its driving me nuts since i only have a half of a minute to diagnose it before the noise fades...please help!!

It does sound like a intake leak. You can try a can of starter fluid with the straw . And squirt a bit around different vacume line connections and gaskit locations to see if you notice a change in the tone. you can use spray bottle of water as well

Last edited:
i didnt even think of that...ill try that out! yea my dad predicts a new intake gasket will most likely cure it....are they a pain to change? i've done one on a 4.6L mustang in an afternoon...

Back