• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for one of those 10" Steel Whip CB antennas.

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
You know the kind.

The ones that you can arch over into a steel rainbow and tie the top to a string then tie that to you brushgaurd. Where do you find one of those?

Thanks guys!

http://www.walcottcb.com/

If you can't find it there, I'd suggest trying the local truck stops. They're usually a pretty good source of CB gear.

i have on mouted to the right rear side of my xj... its the most annoying thing ever... the range sucks and it hit every tree, and beats the crap ot of the side of my jeep.. swiching over to a k-40..

10' not 10" correct? I believe I got mine at either radioshack or a truckstop, both I think would have it.

Actually they are 102", not 10'

IF you get one.....do not plan on using it at any MWC run. I got rid of mine after it almost took the head off a spotter on the trail. When your rig gets rocking, they turn into a whip, and can do serious damage. You can tie it down, but then not only does it not work worth a crap...but it blows your SWR out the window.

HTH

Rev

X3

You get 102" of steel whip moving and you have trouble. Tip it off camber and the tip could take anybodys eye out.

Running a full length 1/4 wave was real stylish in the late 70's, but is passe now. On the hyway they blow back and have a crappy pattern, and if you have it tied down to a gutter clip, you loose even more.

Run a nice base load and forget all that nastalga and/or looking cool crap.

Mine got pretty decent reception, I did catch an older woman who was too close to the trail once with it. I haven't had it on in quite some time, if I ever hook one back up it will be a firestick or something similar.

how is the SWR off of the rear taillight- I'm assuming the hood or roof is the best place to mount, but I do not want a magnetic mount either. I have a 4' firestick that I will be using- it says it will tune on average to I believe a 1.5- don't recall off hand- just don't want to have a mount that looks good but is worthless like the rear bumper mount I had on my TJ back in the day

Midnight Krawler said:
Well, if you were in California I would give one thats been in my garage for a long time. It even has the spring on it.
Your better off using a Firestik or a Wilson fiberglass antenna above the rear taillight or on the front hood.

lol Well thanks for the offer. I think im leaning towards a firestik at the time being.

how about you just consider a smaller whip?
I've got a K-40 on my cowl, it's not terribly dangerous as it's about 38" long, and it's quite resiliant to trees and such. i'd just be worried about breaking a fiberglass one.

91Woody said:
how is the SWR off of the rear taillight

Pretty decent. I'm using one of the mounts akrazgpr made a couple of years ago, and I can get the SWR down to around 1.7-1.5 with a little fiddling.

I have a 4' firestick that I will be using- it says it will tune on average to I believe a 1.5- don't recall off hand- just don't want to have a mount that looks good but is worthless like the rear bumper mount I had on my TJ back in the day

The setup I'm using seems to work pretty well. I'm probably not going to be talking to anyone in Tasmania on it, but for trail use it works out fine. Incidentally, a 4' Firestik mounted much higher than the top of the bumper is going to hit a lot of stuff - ask me how I know ;)

Back