• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arms wont fix?!?!

xjkid08

NAXJA Forum User
okay i have the 4.5 inch rough country and 1.5 inch bigger springs. well my dad took it up to 4 wheel parts to get looked at and they said i need ADJUSTABLE UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS and the long arms wouldnt work?!? they said my axle was too far back and my plan to repair was long arms... so is 4 wheelparts crazy? cuz long arms are longer control arms lol.... i need to have as many people reply to show my dad that he doesnt need to over pay and buy from 4 wheel parts....

thanks...
Austin

xjkid08 said:
okay i have the 4.5 inch rough country and 1.5 inch bigger springs. well my dad took it up to 4 wheel parts to get looked at and they said i need ADJUSTABLE UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS and the long arms wouldnt work?!? they said my axle was too far back and my plan to repair was long arms... so is 4 wheelparts crazy? cuz long arms are longer control arms lol.... i need to have as many people reply to show my dad that he doesnt need to over pay and buy from 4 wheel parts....

thanks...
Austin
Yes, 4WP is crazy. Search around, not many people have good experience with them. You don't need adjustables unless you have really, really terrible angles. At 4.5" and 1.5" bigger (whatever that means) you'd be fine with long arms.

xjkid08 said:
okay i have the 4.5 inch rough country and 1.5 inch bigger springs.
What, exactly, does this mean?

A properly built long arm kit will allow your axle to be held at the proper distance from the rear wheels and maintain the factory wheelbase. Anyone that turns a wrench for a living on an off-road vehicle should know that. I bet they made your dad an offer on the parts they recommended.

Never let 4wp touch your rig....never.

Frank Z said:
A properly built long arm kit will allow your axle to be held at the proper distance from the rear wheels and maintain the factory wheelbase. Anyone that turns a wrench for a living on an off-road vehicle should know that. I bet they made your dad an offer on the parts they recommended.

Never let 4wp touch your rig....never.

Completely agree. Whoever recommended short arms are better than longarms for your amount of lift should not be working on jeeps...PERIOD. And their reasoning for not using long arms does not make a lick of sense, and is completely idiotic. Be sure to go in there and tell them they are complete idiots for their recommendations.

GottaBeJeep said:
Completely agree. Whoever recommended short arms are better than longarms for your amount of lift should not be working on jeeps...PERIOD. And their reasoning for not using long arms does not make a lick of sense, and is completely idiotic. Be sure to go in there and tell them they are complete idiots for their recommendations.

x2

thats what im sayin. its nice to not be alone. my dad listens to them cuz they are PROFESSIONALS but to me they are salesmen behind a counter that dont turn wrenches. ya that 1.5 bigger is my coils. ya they were tryin to hustle my dad i guess. i was in school so i couldnt tell him different. they told my dad i NEEDED that. anyone have a 6 inch lift without longarms? i am gonna get em just wanted to know. they wanted 450 for adj. control arms and the rockkrawler long arms are 500 lol...

xjkid08 said:
thats what im sayin. its nice to not be alone. my dad listens to them cuz they are PROFESSIONALS but to me they are salesmen behind a counter that dont turn wrenches. ya that 1.5 bigger is my coils. ya they were tryin to hustle my dad i guess. i was in school so i couldnt tell him different. they told my dad i NEEDED that. anyone have a 6 inch lift without longarms? i am gonna get em just wanted to know. they wanted 450 for adj. control arms and the rockkrawler long arms are 500 lol...

I have run 6" with short arms, but I had the Rubicon Express control arm drop brackets and braces (still do, but 5" lift now). And I know I have seen dealers selling the Rock Krawler long arm kit for less than $400. Most of the experienced guys on this board are more knowledgeable than those PROFESSIONAL idiots. They only know how much profit they are going to make on certain products, and that is it. Buy your parts from a reputable online dealer, gather up some guys from your local area just by checking this board and many other jeep boards, and they will install it better than that shop for just the price of pizza and beverages. And I'm not just picking on 4WP, any shop that gives poor advice is not worth the hassle of having them work on your jeep for way too much money.

I had short arms at 4.5" of lift and it was alright. Went to long arms and the ride improved over the short arms and made the whole rig a whole lot more driveable. I am now at 6" of lift and still have the long arms. At 6" of lift, long arms are the way to go for front suspension. Drop brackets will work as well with short arms but for the cost of the brackets and adjustable arms a long arm kit is cheaper.

4 Wheel Parts is just trying to get your dad to buy the parts from them. I agree with the others here in saying they dont know what they are talking about. I once had a 4 Wheel Parts guy tell me I had a low pinion Dana 30 in my 91 XJ and they never made a high pinion model :rolleyes: Take it to another shop if there is one in your area or have your dad call a good reputable shop for another PROFESSIONAL opinion even if its not in state. A good shop will help you out with advice and maybe even give you a better deal on parts than if you just order online.

AARON

xjkid08 said:
.... anyone have a 6 inch lift without longarms? i am gonna get em just wanted to know. they wanted 450 for adj. control arms and the rockkrawler long arms are 500 lol...

Yeah..I'm running 6.5" RC suspension w/ adjustable arms. I'm looking into drop brackets so I can extend them bad boys and get my angles dialed-in.

they said to go short arm on 8 inches as the best way, i dont care who has the best components. if your at 8 inches on short arms you need to rethink your build plan... and learn to think. theres no reason for 8" on short arms instead of the shear disregard for function.

rocklandxjer said:
they said to go short arm on 8 inches as the best way, i dont care who has the best components. if your at 8 inches on short arms you need to rethink your build plan... and learn to think. theres no reason for 8" on short arms instead of the shear disregard for function.
I misread that last post then. It didn't even cross my mind that they said short are better than long arms. But what were people doing before long arm kits? Short arms won't end the world, but they definitely aren't better.

Starscream918 said:
I misread that last post then. It didn't even cross my mind that they said short are better than long arms. But what were people doing before long arm kits? Short arms won't end the world, but they definitely aren't better.

People didnt lift their trucks past 4.5" before long arms :D But seriously 6" kits and then long arms only started becoming popular in the last 6 years. Before then, there where no big kits for a Cherokee. The first kit I can think of for the XJ was Tomkin and they had a 4.5" kit.

AARON

4 wheel parts is only good for buying certain do it your self parts like cheap set of shocks when your on a sereous budget, or when a winch manufacutere blows out a old model etc.....Id never trust them for anything but over priced bad information though.

Dude, anything over 6' of lift you will need to go with an adjustable upper or lower arm. The RE drop brackets will resore you ride quality back to factory and I dont believe will require adjustable arms.

All around, the cost of long arms are reasonable and just as cheap if not cheaper than the RE drop brackets and makes total sense.

My suggestion to you would be to research which lift is right for your application and budget. And whatever you do try and stay away from a weld on long arm kit.

Look at Rubicon Express, TNT or Full traction. Stay away from Rusty's

Back