• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockout hub wont lock

nfm

NAXJA Forum User
I have Warn premium lockout hubs on my XJ, it’s a high pinion Dana 44. I can’t get the selector (free or lock selector) to spin.

Can anyone help me diagnose.

Thanks,

there is really not much to a locking hub. take off the 6 allen head bolts and pull off the dial first. dont worry yet about cleaning up the lockout mechanism. usually Ive found that the lock out dial has gotten grit into the threads and simply needs to be cleaned. take some brake parts cleaner and clean these threads out well and then grease them up. see if the knob spins freely. if this doesn't fix the problem then you might have to dig into the hub a little more, but I would put money on the knob having grit built up in it

They can be kind of tight. Try twisting harder.

I would take it apart as soon as that happens, and verify nothing is bent and everything fully engages. I had that happen and later that run I blew that hub up.

OK, finally got it off and I cleaned it , lubed it. It spun freely in my hand. I put it back on, it still spun freely, and i could hear it "click" into lock, but it didn't lock. I spun the wheel and the drive shaft didn't move. Any help?

if its open diffs it will spin either the dshaft, or the other wheel. which ever is easier. could you see it spin the axle shaft?

Back