• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED tail light wiring

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all quick question. At work today I cut all of the rear wiring out of the back of a Peterbilt to start fresh. One tail light wasn't getting power at the tail light plug, but there was power at the main harness connector. I'm rewiring from the harness to the lights.

It has single 3 way lights on both sides. Question is, if I have to wire the brake light and the signal light to the same circuit, the brake lights will simply override the signals. This doesn't seem correct to me. The truck didn't do this before, and there is nothing special about the wiring I cut out, aside from being a huge mess.

Hopefully I'm missing something simple here, or could it be a case of the rear signals simply DID always stop with the brake applied? (We have two older model Chevy pick-ups that do this.) Really hoping not to go into work tomorrow having screwed this up ;)

So you have separate wires going to the lights for stop and turn and trying to use them on a light that only has one wire for power? You'll need a trailer wiring converter/adapter Pretty common thing, uhaul sells one for $17 and there are others available. Might even be able to find one at the local auto store in the trailer wiring section. It does exactly what you need, lets you have one light doing the function of a stop AND turn light.

Hope this is what you needed.

Back