• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Land Use for 2016

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
As you are all aware (I hope), the National Board of Directors offers up a matching grant to each chapter yearly to promote land use causes inside their borderlines.

This past April, we were able to donate almost $1500 worth of money and equipment. We donated $700 to the Friends of Land Between the Lakes (KY), and donated a new auger to the Friends of Uwharrie (NC).

The purpose of this money is not necessarily to help out privately owned parks, but rather state or federally owned lands that are open to motorized recreation. I dare say that LBL and URE were selected as recipients last year as much out of familiarity of your sitting BOD than anything else. We knew of their needs, of course, but these parks are simply ones that we run often and are familiar with.

For 2016, we'd like to solicit your feedback. Please consider public areas in your region that might need a little monetary assistance. Post it up here - tell us the who, the why, the what, so that your elected chapter BOD can make an educated decision on where we allot our yearly land use funds. We have members in all 8 of the SEC states. There has to be needs in all o them. Help us find them!

This is an important part of what NAXJA is about. It was disappointing to me to learn that in 2015 a good number of our chapters didn't bother with a land use donation. In my opinion that is unacceptable. We'd like the SEC to be a leader in land use and a chapter that other chapters can look to for inspiration and involvement.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this topic, for being a part of the greatest NAXJA chapter, and remember - if you aren't a paying red letter member the chapter isn't getting the benefit of your dues to help us with land use donation. Please consider renewing or joining.

Thanks-

Tim "UNCC_99XJ" Nolan - President
Andy "Lowrange2" Bagwell - Vice President
Dirk "Cottontail" DeYoung - Treasurer

Anyone in NC know anything about the new Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway trails that just opened? I know that they were working on grants/funding late last year.

How about the Badin Lake trail. I know the guys at SFWDA were working on grants for them as well.

Help us help out!

IDK about any of those. KY is technically not our chapter but you know that. I know URE is or was applying for grants for a new trail to be built called the Lake View Trail.

It would be cool to do something for Black Mountain if they need anything

IMHO not public lands and not something I want to see. LBL and URE are two public trail systems that need help. They are looking for public trail systems in the SEC that can benefit from our help and $$$'s.

I thought Black Mountain was owned by the county? I know that KY is MWC but its also the home of the biggest SEC event every year. Just throwing out ideas even though I live outside the SEC.

I thought Black Mountain was owned by the county? I know that KY is MWC but its also the home of the biggest SEC event every year. Just throwing out ideas even though I live outside the SEC.

No it's leased by the county. Owned by a mining company. I'd like to see some of the guys in the VA area chime in and let us know if there are any Public trail systems up there that have work days and the such like URE and LBL.

70 views and the only one that had an idea is from the MWC? Come on guys....especially those of you that aren't in TN or NC, please, let us know what is going on in your area so that we can consider our options for maximum impact for the SEC land use money.

No one, anywhere in this big, beautiful chapter, has any needs local to them?

I suspect that LBL and URE are going to continue to be benefactors of the SEC benevolence fund due to lack of knowledge of anyone else needing assistance.

No one, anywhere in this big, beautiful chapter, has any needs local to them?

I suspect that LBL and URE are going to continue to be benefactors of the SEC benevolence fund due to lack of knowledge of anyone else needing assistance.

URE NEEDS it! I was talking with them this weekend at the work day. It is a 100% up hill battle out there. The rangers are with us and want us there it's their bosses that are the problem.

Can you tell me more Glenn? What do they need, how much do they need, what do they need it for?

Come on guys! This is free money! All we ask is that it not be a privately owned park!

Main trails in VA are Potts Mountain (near Roanoke), Big Levels aka Bald Mountain (near Waynesboro/Sherando), Shoe Creek (partially closed now, private landowners revoked gifted right-of-way due to break-ins and cut trails), and Flagpole (near Harrisonburg).

There are many local clubs in VA, but also a state-wide organization called VA4WD that does a lot of work with the Forest Service. There is currently a trail cleanup scheduled for Bald Mountain in April.

I can contact VA4WD and see if they know of a use for additional funds. The FS in VA has been kinda weird about volunteer work in the past, as far as what they will allow or what projects they will take on. I typically work through VA4WD because they seem to have the best relationship with the local FS.

Potts Mountain is a serious (think high blue/black) Jeep trail designated for large OHV in particular. A gem in the state for sure. There was also talk about creating a similar trail in the Bald Mountain area.

Everything in else in VA is Nat'l Park (no wheeling) or private property/park.

Are we looking at $1500 again for 2016?

Yes. I would love to know what might be available through the VA 4wd Association. We haven't voted on an amount yet, so I don't know if $1500 is accurate giving for 2016. It will eve somewhat need based. If you come back with a public trial system that needs a specific amount for specific project we're more interested in that.

Did you just join? I swear you were black when I responded this morning. If so, thanks!

Did you just join? I swear you were black when I responded this morning. If so, thanks!

Yeah did. Seems like you guys are pretty active in the state I'm moving to, so at $35 why not. :) I didn't realized it would get processed that quickly.

Plus I'm moving.....I need friends..... so I'm buying them....

:loveu: :confused1 lol

Were you moving to? please feel free to hit me or dirk, aka cottontail up in pm.

Back