• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keys need to be made...

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, so I got a new heep last week and it did nto have any keys. I had a smith come out and moke some once and it was kinda pricey. Can I use get keys made from any of the codes on the xj? It is a 94 by the way.

i dont know if it will come up on it, but as ur stealership to bring up the build sheet. not sure if its on it though.

it's not a "code" in/on the vehicle, per se. but the stealership can pull it from your vin. ask me how i know....;)

They only REALLY started keeping the codes by the VIN in like 1998 or something, before that, it's hit and miss. But worth a shot.

what happens is on the "earlier"(early 90's and down) models, when you try to bring it up it's like the system "forgot" the code. that's how i perceive it anyway.

when i wanted to test drive a 91 that got repo-ed they didnt have the keys and they got the VIN off the dash and cut a new key for it.

-Tim

and make sure you take proof of ownership with you to the dealer ,
they are not to be giving out that info without it .

otherwise anyone could get a vin # , and well , bye xj !!!!

TY Ten High, I'll give that code a try tomorrow when my town wakes back up.

TY Ten High, got the key cut today and works great. The key fits the door and ignition great. Did they use a different key for the hatch like they did on the 84's? I forgot to try it back there.

Ghost said:
TY Ten High, got the key cut today and works great. The key fits the door and ignition great. Did they use a different key for the hatch like they did on the 84's? I forgot to try it back there.

its a 94? it should have a double sided key. it fits all doors, hatch and ignition. the older styles (pre-HO) had two single sided keys one with a round head for the doors and a square head for ignition.

hth

-Tim

Yea it's a 94. My 84 has 2 keys also.

Ten High said:
yep, without id and registration they won't do it.

Not always true...:)
When my grandparents went on vacation we decided to do a little surprise work to their '95 Accord and since it was a surprise we needed a way to get keys for it without them knowing... long story short, got the vin, brought it to a dealer, told them what we were doing and had a key cut with no registration whatsoever :D

/hi-jack.

Last edited:
well as per DC rules, and probably most dealers, you're not SUPPOSED to. but, sometimes the situation warrants bending rules....i do it too.

Back