• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless entry for 97+ XJs

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
i have a keyless entry module that will work with 97-01 cherokees. i have it from one of my other jeeps and tested it on a different jeep to make sure it will work...and it does. if your jeep was equipped with keyless entry, all you do is unscrew the dome light and plug this one in and you're good to go...it seriously takes 3 minutes to do. comes with one remote. $50 shipped OBO

the picture sucks, but you get the point.

emailing me at [email protected] will be the fastest way to get in touch with me, but i'll check here every now and then too.

thanks

1115011753.jpg

That is for 98+. 97 had a factory two button square key fob no panic and does not have the sentry key.

Actually, 97-98 got the square style remotes and 99-01 got the round style remotes. That being said, what the OP is selling will work in any year 97-01. You just need to have that board in your dome light and use that remote.

Put my factory keyless from my 99 (round style remote from factory) into my buddy's 98 (square style remote from factory) a couple of years ago when diagnosing problems with his factory keyless. Everything worked perfectly.

Actually, 97-98 got the square style remotes and 99-01 got the round style remotes. That being said, what the OP is selling will work in any year 97-01. You just need to have that board in your dome light and use that remote.

Put my factory keyless from my 99 (round style remote from factory) into my buddy's 98 (square style remote from factory) a couple of years ago when diagnosing problems with his factory keyless. Everything worked perfectly.

I stand corrected. Well mostly, the round fob must be a mid 98 addition because every 98 with keyless entry that I have worked on has had the round one. I believe I heard back that when Chrysler added the sentry key and went to the round one with the panic feature it was mid production year for most vehicles.

I stand corrected. Well mostly, the round fob must be a mid 98 addition because every 98 with keyless entry that I have worked on has had the round one. I believe I heard back that when Chrysler added the sentry key and went to the round one with the panic feature it was mid production year for most vehicles.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. Can't remember if my buddy's 98 is a early or late 98 build.

What are the chances I could retrofit this to my 96 keyless

Does the 96 factory keyless tie in with the dome light as well, or does it have it's own separate "dome" on the roof like the older models did? If i'm not mistaken, on the late models the dome lights themselves run on the same wiring harness as the keyless entry...so that board controls both the lights and the keyless.

Regardless, I would imagine you'd probably have to find a way to make your plug connect to the late model board, or hard wire it directly in.

Ill pull it down and look at the plug tomorrow.

So I got my 99 last year without any keyless entry. Don't know if it was ever installed. How would I check and is this all i would need in order to add it? Thanks

you could go to this site and fill in your info and they will send you a build sheet of your jeep.
http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/univers...orms/us/webform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U

if it had keyless from the factory it will tell you. or you could go out to your jeep and check in the dome light. all you do is pop out the middle light cover and unscrew the 2 screws. then you just slide the dome light and you will be able to see inside it. if you see that circuit board looking thing (like the one i took a pic of) you have keyless. and all you would need to do is swap them out and you'll have keyless entry.

Still for sale? If so email me back (emailed you) the detail for payment. Picked up a 99 and it does have keyless but no remote. Hate using the stinking key all the time!

Chad
Middle TN

So I got my 99 last year without any keyless entry. Don't know if it was ever installed. How would I check and is this all i would need in order to add it? Thanks

It is under that plastic piece between the sun visors so we can pull that down and see if the stuff is there for it. If it is then all you need is a key fob and have it programmed but if not then you will need the items listed above in the ad.

Anybody else got one?

Back