• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Grand Cherokee... I tried to post in the other area...

NoTrax

NAXJA Forum User
Or If anyone has a link for a GC forum please link!

Ok, 1996 Grand Cherokee, 4.0l Selec-Trac

After about a week of purchasing the vehicle it would cut of all engine power, losing gauges, power steering, etc. This would happen primarily at a stop light, cruising down main, or wherever under 40. It would never occurred on the freeway until recently.

I replaced the Throttle position sensor, the ignition, and cleaned the Air Idle sensor.

I also noticed corrosion on the battery terminals and some corrosion going down the positive terminals, I cut back on the positive terminals and re connected, and cleaned up the rest of the top. (optima red top, fairly new)

I had not had a chance to drive it much after the battery cleaning, but I did have it stall once at the light when I stopped.

I dont know if this is related but....
Today I had a LCD scree installed in it, they had to remove the rear overhead console and trim off about 4 inches, where the rear door lights are. When I was leaving the Audio place, I noticed my entire Gauge cluster shut off, and I had all normal power. I also noticed my overhead console computer was off, where it displays mileage etc...

As I drove on they came off and on a few times, finally I went back to the Audio place and the tech said it might be a loose plug above the computer on the overhead console. He pushed it down, and my gauges came back, I dont know if it was just his moving around in that area that kicked it back to normal or what. (you can access the plugs above the Door lights in the front, by pushing the lights out.)

So, I drive home and stop at my brothers house, and I have my window down, it will not go up when I am leaving... I noticed the gauges were out again, as well as when I turn off my headlights the interior gauge lights stayed on until I moved the slider all the way up and back down again.. also if you have the headlights on you cannor adjust the dimmer on the dash lights....

I tried to pull down the overhead console, and it looked like everything was wired up and plugged in, I just wonder if it was some damage done when he had to take it down to make the cut on to fit the Screen? maybe he plugs or the little circuit board got damaged?

I don't even know if its part of the other problem above and it is mere circumstance that its happening now..

I am at wits end, my jeep is out there under the patio cause it is raining. I would really like some really technical jeep grand Cherokee owners or technicians to help me solve this :-(

I had a stang once that acted that way. It was in the key ignition. You had to hit a sweet spot when starting the car to keep all the accessories working.

Try jiggiling you key switch next time it happpens......GOOD luck.

Back