• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interchangeable years for ax15?

You know I have a nice one(used for 10K and less than a year) that I'm trying to sell for $400(paid $700 for it from [email protected]). I believe that all of the 91 or 92 and later 2wd ax15s will do(keep your bellhousing with the external slave cylinder). The earlier ax15s(89,90) might've had a smaller input shaft. Someone here knows.

Last edited:
Id like to get one from a junk yard but I feel like id be gambling with one of those. But you can return it if it doesnt work. I just dont want to have to go through any more than 1 transmission to find a good one.

gradon said:
You know I have a nice one(used for 10K and less than a year) that I'm trying to sell for $400(paid $700 for it from [email protected]). I believe that all of the 91 or 92 and later 2wd ax15s will do(keep your bellhousing with the external slave cylinder). The earlier ax15s(89,90) might've had a smaller input shaft. Someone here knows.

Correct - the 1989 & 1990 have the same size pilot as the BA-10/5 (I just swapped in a 1990, and I figure the 1989 is the same.) The splines are the same between the BA-10 and AX-15 - they're all 1-1/8"-10.

I don't recall the break between "internal" and "external" slave cylinders (1994/1995 or so?) but you can convert from one to the other by changing the bellhousing, clutch fork, and front bearing retainer without too much trouble. In fact, I'd like to score the front bearing retainer, clutch fork, and front bearing retainer from an external one of these days so I can convert my own (I'm not a huge fan of the whole "internal slave cylinder" debacle...) So, if you end up having to get rid of yours - which I'm fairly sure uses the "external" slave, I'd like to talk to you.

Back