• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake Swap

steve1169

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I have 89 xj with a 4.0 and was wondering if i could put a 99-up intake on it??? And what all changes i would have to do???
Thanks....

I don't think the 99+intake lines up with the intake ports of the 2686 head. I think the ports are 1/4" lower on the 2686 head(but I could be confused with the 258 head). If anyone has successfully gotten a HO log style intake on the 2686, then the 99+ should fit as well.

Hi,
I have 89 xj with a 4.0 and was wondering if i could put a 99-up intake on it??? And what all changes i would have to do???
Thanks....

Better if you also swap a '91-'95 head onto your engine to get the full benefit of the HO conversion. Then you'd need the following to complete the job:

'91-'95 head
'91-'99 exhaust manifold
'00+ intake manifold
'97+ XJ (or '96+ TJ) PS pump & mounting bracket/tensioner pulley
'91-'95 HO throttle body
Hesco TPS adapter
'91-'95 injector rail & 21lb injectors
'91-'95 XJ plastic fuel lines

You'll find most of these parts in junkyards so it won't cost an arm and a leg to do, especially if you do the labor yourself.

My guess would be that 91-95 heads/parts would be OBD1...but I could be wrong.

Thanks for posting that list Dr. Dyno, I've been wondering the same thing :)

i dont understand why just up to 95' on must those parts?

For the head you could also go for the '96-'99 #0630 casting but you'd need to find a new home for the coolant temp. gauge sending unit. The others are a must for the following reasons:

1. Throttle body: '91-'95 Jeeps, like the Renix, have the MAP sensor on the firewall so the '91-'95 TB doesn't have a port for the MAP sensor unlike the '96+.
2. The '91-'95 injector rail is a return system like the Renix with the fuel pressure regulator at the front. The '96+ is returnless with the fuel pressure regulator integrated with the fuel pump in the gas tank.
3. The '91-'95 plastic fuel lines match up with the Renix supply/return lines from the gas tank and match up to the '91-'95 injector rail.

Back