• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

insurance claim. guy who hit me wont fess up

CAJJ93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
it's not jeep stuff, but I appreciate the sage advice in this section of the internet the most

a month ago I got hit a block away from my house by a prius. 4 way stop sign, I come up and come to a complete stop with my signal on to turn left. I enter the intersection and start my turn, a prius coming the opposite direction slowed to the stop sign and rolled it and proceeded to clip my rear bumper as I was nearly complete with the turn. I got out, he was cordial and cooperative. He said "I guess I looked down for a second and didn't see you there." (homeboy was obviously texting because he has no idea what happened)

I got all his info, screwed up by not getting the police to take an accident report. this is my first accident as an adult
he cracked my rear plastic Honda bumper, it's still streetable. I got home and immediately reported the claim to my insurance company. they've been trying to get ahold of him for a month now and he simply hasn't responded. so my insurance company said yeah sometimes that happens

sometimes his insurance will pay you and sometimes they won't. stop sign accidents are tricky :confused: so this dude can just not answer his phone and completely get away with this?! He was involved in a collision and he won't answer his phone so his insurance doesn't automatically assume he is OBVIOUSLY at fault??

my insurance just called and said they still can't get ahold of him. this guy lives down the street I have his address. I cannot see it going well if I knock on his door. does anyone have any better ideas?

I've got Mercury (just switched to geico) and he has AAA

A blanket and a baseball batparty1:

Did you take pictures? That would be the only way to place him at the scene. Always take pictures of the other vehicle and the driver to be sure you have the right person to blame.

I got in an accident on the way to work not so long ago in my truck. We both had slightly different stories, enough for both insurance companies to deny the claims we had against each other. The claim went through subrogation, basically arbitration, and they found him at fault for the accident using his own statements against him. I told the truth and it worked out for me in the end. Got my truck fixed and forgot about the dumbass.

I haven't been in an accident since I was like 17 and I forgot to take pictures. he isn't lying, he just hasn't even responded. it's my fault for thinking I can just trust someone to be honest. I'm tempted to go to his place with an appraisal for the damages and tell him I'll drop the claim for less than what it will actually cost me. Just to get something out of it instead of it being a complete loss

My insurance will deal with it all and fix my car if I pay my deductible. I would get it back once they get the money from the other insurance co. Not the best but its an option

My insurance will deal with it all and fix my car if I pay my deductible. I would get it back once they get the money from the other insurance co. Not the best but its an option

that was the other option my insurance offered. my deductible is $500 and I assume it will only cost $750 for a brand new bumper. It's the principle of the matter though, not so much the car.

does anyone think it's an awful idea to go talk to him? He seemed like a reasonable guy but I don't want anything crazy to come of this

In Colorado, we have small claims court. You can file the paperwork and then either hand deliver or send by registered mail a subpoena to show up. If the blows it off, then you can start seizing property.

Get a (very large) buddy to serve the subpoena.

Most Cell phones can take video, this is a HUGE tool!
The last time I was hit, I took photos of all her car and insurance information and even her Drivers license and her face.

After we exchanged information I asked to go and she said I have to stay for the police, I told her they will not come unless someone is hurt. She said I can not leave till the they come again and again.

I started video taping her, asked again if anyone was hurt, if I she needed anymore information from me, and I asked if I leave could go. She got mad and said "fine you go!"

I got a call that night from her son accusing me of a "hit and run" and the police were going to come after me. I told him about the video and he paid in cash! People change there minds in a very short time, best to get what you can at the time it happens.

this is probably going to end up being a good lesson for me unfortunately. I don't think I really want to deal with going to court so it might end up being a total loss for me. he wasn't being a shitty person I never felt the need to whip out the phone. I knew I should've taken pictures of everything though. I would've paid in cash if it was blatantly my fault like that. the balls on that dude to be most likely texting and driving, roll a stop sign, hit me, then not answer to the insurance company and most likely get away with it blows my mind. I never knew that was an option in life

give the insurance company his address. let them go there in person.

this is probably going to end up being a good lesson for me unfortunately. I don't think I really want to deal with going to court so it might end up being a total loss for me. he wasn't being a shitty person I never felt the need to whip out the phone. I knew I should've taken pictures of everything though. I would've paid in cash if it was blatantly my fault like that. the balls on that dude to be most likely texting and driving, roll a stop sign, hit me, then not answer to the insurance company and most likely get away with it blows my mind. I never knew that was an option in life

Hang in there, about three years ago I hit a very young girl who pulled out in front of me as I was doing 30mph, she was at fault and would not stop saying sorry at the time. Then my insurance said there was an issue with her and her dad and bla bla bla . . . but 9 months later I finally got paid in full.

Then again there is always plan b:
https://youtu.be/PztgWdMEJdg

Just be patient dude. it might take time.

...you are entering a world of pain.

Hang in there, about three years ago I hit a very young girl who pulled out in front of me as I was doing 30mph, she was at fault and would not stop saying sorry at the time. Then my insurance said there was an issue with her and her dad and bla bla bla . . . but 9 months later I finally got paid in full.

Then again there is always plan b:
https://youtu.be/PztgWdMEJdg

I hope it doesn't take that long.. at least she was just a kid. This guy is an adult in his 40's.

I'm not sure what that video is but I'm not clicking. I've been rick rolled too many times to take that chance hahaha

Just be patient dude. it might take time.

...you are entering a world of pain.

I've been here before. these things take forever I hit a car when I was 17 and it wasn't resolved for 3 years. but I held great communication with the lawyer and insurance company the entire time. I was going to call his insurance company today but I think I'll take the patient route. I'm going to pick my buddies dad's brain on this, he's an insurance estimater and deals with this all the time

thanks guys

I'm not sure what that video is but I'm not clicking. I've been rick rolled too many times to take that chance hahaha

Might be best to never click on anything I post up! But it was just the baseball bat to the Corvette seen from The Big Lebowski movie. It was all I wanted to do to the girls car for 9 months!

Never trust a hybrid driver..

An insurance company has 30 days to accept blame and you better believe they're going to wait 30 days. Coincidentally rental car coverage end after 30 days that's the big game pressure you into taking less money

Take him to small claims!
No wait take him to small claims and play really loud music every weekend in front of his house at 3 am. Follow him around and pull into parking spots just ahead of him. If he goes to the grocery store beat him to the cashier and pay in quarters, no make it pennies, don't have enough either that way you have to have the checker take stuff off! While he waits tell him to go ahead and text you'll be awhile! Then get an dish and on heavy solar storm days point the dish at his Prius to cause EMP's to kill his batteries! Then finally turn his sprinklers on after he goes to work and call the water department and turn him in for excessive water usage!

Take him to small claims!
No wait take him to small claims and play really loud music every weekend in front of his house at 3 am. Follow him around and pull into parking spots just ahead of him. If he goes to the grocery store beat him to the cashier and pay in quarters, no make it pennies, don't have enough either that way you have to have the checker take stuff off! While he waits tell him to go ahead and text you'll be awhile! Then get an dish and on heavy solar storm days point the dish at his Prius to cause EMP's to kill his batteries! Then finally turn his sprinklers on after he goes to work and call the water department and turn him in for excessive water usage!

this is why we cant have nice things. :puke:

Never trust a hybrid driver..

Truth.

Also never get behind one, slowest pucks around. Trying to get the MPG up . 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000003MPG

I HATE PRIUS OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gee:

stop by his house, give him a paper with your insurance persons contact info. Or leave a note on his door. everyday..

But, my guess, he not going to do a dang thing. He needs to save up to replace that battery in his ride. Batt costs more then if he just bought a new inexpensive gas car, and drove it for ~10yr.

Back