• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got an MJ! Questions...

Burley

NAXJA Forum User
After a few years of tinkering around with a couple of XJ's I was in need of a truck so i thought a Comanche was the obvious choice. It is a 1987 4x2 stick with the 4 cylinder. I am in need of the front grille guard and the plastic that goes around the head lights. Are these the same as a XJ of the same vintage? Anything else you guys can tell me that I might need to know about this little gem would be much appreciated! I also need to put some sheet metal over a rather large hole in the drivers side floor so i don't do a Fred Flintstone on accident.

Thanks guys/gals!

Burley

Burley said:
.... It is a 1987 4x2 stick with the 4 cylinder....
Burley

Same MJ as mine (was), right down to the AWOL floorpan :laugh3: Converted it to 4WD with various XJ parts last year. Congrats!
Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Same MJ as mine (was), right down to the AWOL floorpan :laugh3: Converted it to 4WD with various XJ parts last year. Congrats!
Jeff

Thanks man.

I just needed a good hauler for some small stuff every once in a while. It also never hurts to have a spare Jeep setting around! I just need to that darn hole welded up in the floor and I'll be good to go.

Burley

Burley said:
Thanks man.

I just needed a good hauler for some small stuff every once in a while. It also never hurts to have a spare Jeep setting around! I just need to that darn hole welded up in the floor and I'll be good to go.

Burley
Got a Lowe's near you? Lowe's has 20-gauge and 16-gauge patch panels that are just about the perfect size for repairing MJ floors (or lack thereof). I used 16-gauge. Easier to weld, and the extra thickness makes up for the lack of stiffening ribs.

Eagle said:
Got a Lowe's near you? Lowe's has 20-gauge and 16-gauge patch panels that are just about the perfect size for repairing MJ floors (or lack thereof). I used 16-gauge. Easier to weld, and the extra thickness makes up for the lack of stiffening ribs.

Thanks Eagle. That is good to know and I didn't even think about Lowe's. So I assume then that MJ floors are prone to rust out?

Burley

Guess it depends where it grew up at. Mine was from PA (close to you), and Eagle's up in CT......now I'm in VA and all the ones I see in the yards here only have surface rust, if even that. In fact, I cut some pieces out of one to use along with the Lowe's straight piece to refab mine. I took some pics of how bad it was but they didn't turn out well enough to post :(
Seems to be a common rust out spot for MJ's, along with the rear wheelwells whereas XJ's seem to have floor problems along the passenger side, above the cat/muffler area.
Jeff

Hmm, my Xj that was Montana-born has the d-side floor gone. My MJ that was a Cali-girl, doesn't. Only surface rust.

Watch the cab corners and rockers behind the rear tire, those seem to be the problem areas on my MJ

Back