• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High performance ignition coil

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched with no luck. How much would an accel or MSD ignition coil and MSD wires help out ? Would they be worth the $120 it would cost for parts ?

camarors8992 said:
I've searched with no luck. How much would an accel or MSD ignition coil and MSD wires help out ? Would they be worth the $120 it would cost for parts ?

depend on what mods you have done or are going to do...............totaly stock .............you will gain more from a clean air filter, or a better air filter system. for probably close to the same price.

Flash

I just went through this backchannel with someone else - not 20 minutes ago...

Short answer - No. The OEM ignition setup makes all the spark energy a production engine would need, so spend the money somewhere else (opening up your intake and exhaust, for instance.)

If you were doing a stroker, it would depend on how much you upped your compression - if you got silly, then it would help. However, there are many strokers out there running with OEM ignition setups, and not having any trouble (even a few passing the Air Police out here!)

If you were going to add a supercharger, I'd suggest upping your ignition as well - more air = more fuel = needs more spark.

A "blown stroker?" I'd consider an igntion upgrade mandatory.

However, if you're still a stocker, there are better places to spend $120.

From voice of experience, No, it really doesn't make that big of a difference. I have a '97 with the MSD coil, MSD wires, and a Firepower Cap/Rotor, think I have the plugs gapped to like .06, stock is like .035 for mine. I noticed a bigger mileage and power difference from my intake system than my ignition system. As far as quality parts go I would say go for it, can't beat MSD or Accel, I work at a parts store and these parts are worth spending the little extra cash on. Reliability in harsh conditions is what you really want to aim for.

Back