• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack and tap?

Lowcountryjeep01

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys im pretty much a newb to the jeep scene and i tried the search funtion but it didnt really answer my question. im looking to get the 4.5 inch rustys lift kit but i dint have the extra cash for the SYE. someone told me about the hack and tap. now what exactly is it and well it work the same as a H&T. i dont wanna get the vibes from not having driveshaft right.

hack n tap is a cheaper SYE. I run one on my 242 and its been fine.

Basically a hack and tap is just that. You cut your tcase output shaft and drill and tap it for a yoke. There is a thread in mod tech by Old Man where you can buy the yoke and not that kit. Assuming you have the drill bit and the tap that is needed.

Lowcountryjeep01 said:
so i can substitute the hack and tap for an SYE with 4.5 lift
Technically it is a SLE.

I have the RE hack n' tap on my jeep...with 6.5" of lift. I did this because I thought it was cheaper than a true sye. I thought it was cheaper because I knew I could use a junk xj front ds for the rear ds, with a 1310 flange output.

I later found out that you can still use a junk ds with a true sye. The true sye would have saved me $ in the long run, because you dont have to modify the junk shaft with a $70 dollar flange.

what about a long travel yoke?(np242) anybody have any experiences with one of these .. i just ordered one from rustys i dont have the $for an SYE or SLE however you want to abreviate slip yoke eliminator.. and my shit is makin some mean noises while im accelerating so im not really drivin it and really want to get it right soon so i can

Back