• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

guinea pig owners? Pregnant sow...

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
Any other guinea pig owners here? Any experience with having babies?

Our sow is VERY much pregnant... due at *any time*. Pretty cool.... but thought I would see if anybody else here had any experience with that.

She is cute... but not *that* cute. You California guys have *odd* taste. :)

ECKSJAY said:
Wait till the MWC guys get here... They'll think this is small potatoes.

Hah, I think ya mean the South. :)

Just make sure that she's REALLY female before you start helping that "breech birth" out...

Glenn said:
Hah, I think ya mean the South. :)
guinea pigs are too small, chickens or hogs are preferred. of course there is nothing like a good stump breaking MOO!

my little sister has guinea pigs.... MAN! are they annoying! lol.... squeek squeek!

and they reproduce faster than rabbits!... talking 8 or so every birth.. but from what ive seen and heard they are very low maintainance during the process...

my sisters have had 3 sets... and each set, 1 died... 1 was born dead and the other 2 were just rejected by the mother.. i have no clue why...

thats all i know about them... goodluck! their noisy hahaha

Mmmm Guinea Pig...

The other white meat!

Northern%20Copperhead%20%20(Agkistrodon%20contortrix%20mokason%20)%20301.jpg

Yup, one countrys pet is anothers meat source. I think guinea pigs are a south american delicacy but not sure on that...

red91inWA said:
they carry all sorts of diseases...yuck.

No wonder they're listed as "UNCLEAN".

LOL, it is not like I plan to eat them. ;)

yeah but how often do things go as planned...they taste just like squirell :D

Ours only squeak when they see me, or hear me talking. They know darned well who gives em treats. :D Fortunately, they are pretty quiet at night.

Of course the sow does squeak a bit when the babies are moving around.... fun to put your hand on her tummy and feel them lil suckers kick.

She is due any day now. Pretty cool stuff. I am sure they are going to look funny... dad is a shorthair, mom is a long haired fluffy thing.

KingOfTheHill said:
my little sister has guinea pigs.... MAN! are they annoying! lol.... squeek squeek!

and they reproduce faster than rabbits!... talking 8 or so every birth.. but from what ive seen and heard they are very low maintainance during the process...

my sisters have had 3 sets... and each set, 1 died... 1 was born dead and the other 2 were just rejected by the mother.. i have no clue why...

thats all i know about them... goodluck! their noisy hahaha

Ramsey said:
yeah but how often do things go as planned...they taste just like squirell :D

I almost put a disclaimer in that response... along the lines of "the best laid plans"..... I guess I shoulda. :)

woody said:
Mmmm Guinea Pig...

The other white meat!

Northern%20Copperhead%20%20(Agkistrodon%20contortrix%20mokason%20)%20301.jpg
Nope. GP's are like Poultry. Feed them to a reptile, and I feel for the mess you'll have to clean in about 4 days.

Poultry makes it runny(BADLY) and GP's don;t digest well....AT ALL. Think a deflated football, that REEKS. The Skin of a GP cannot be digested in most reptiles.

I've kept Reptiles for about 10 years now. LAtest was a 7.5 foot Burmese Python. He was eating small baby Pigs...The Swine kind.

I prefer sheep. I like their stupidity. Just stick those back legs in your boots so they can't run away.

What an amazing turn of direction this thread has taken on. But I am not surprised with this group. :D

Back