• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Question-

MistWolf

NAXJA Forum User
Have a friend that just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee. He describes it as follows-

Grand Cherokee, 94 W/HO 6, AUTO trans, A/C, Nice suspension W/Some lift, Nice Wheels & Tires, Nice clean interior (Droopy Headliner) NO leaks, 164K Miles..
Being sold by the Second Owner, price seems quite reasonable...

Cons that pop out to me is it is FULL TIME 4X4 so there is only HI & LO in the transfer case..

What transmission does he have? Is it an AW4? What type of ATF does it take?

What fluid does the Tcase take? If this Jeep was an XJ, I'd be able to answer. Thanks for all help anyone can provide

AW4 in GC 93 only, after that it was Chryco transmission.

A500/42RE or something like that was used 94-01.

Last edited:
Reports from my buddy with a lifted ZJ indicate that the ChryCo transmissions were turds, he's rebuilt his three times in the last two years due to a variety of valve body issues, a check valve that jammed and overheated it, and some other issues.

The 'always on' Quadra-Trac transfer cases eat gas, and unless it's been recently replaced, it's probably due for a rebuild. Most Grands came with either the QT or 242, the latter being the better choice.

I believe the 242 came with the 93 GC since it had an AW4.
As far as the trans/t-case.. you can swap in a 46RE I believe. And common t-case swap is the NP231, can also swap in a 242 if you so choose. One of the ones that will bolt right up is the 242HD from a dakota/durango.

TA should take ATF+4.

I thought the full-time 4wd units were only behind V8's? I had a 94 with the 5.2 V8 and full-time 4wd and it actually got about 17 mpg.

Forgot.. the 242 was only an option on the I6. All 318/360/4.7L had quadra-crap.

Back