• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GO JEEP's 2nd gear mod

waserwolf

NAXJA Forum User
would like to mod the 2nd gear in my 00 XJ has anyone done this to a oo, any pics would be appreciated, I had a look tonight and can't tell which plug it is under the passenger side.

i did it on my 92. its great if you want just 2nd gear and not have to wait. mounted it to the right of the shifter on the bezel with a lighted flush mount rocker switch i got at radioshack. looks factory. took about 45 min at most. pull the lower dash panel to find the control unit with the plug. if i remember right its tucked up there.

waserwolf said:
would like to mod the 2nd gear in my 00 XJ has anyone done this to a oo, .

It does not work on the late model XJs. The later transmissions have input and output shaft speed sensors and if the computer sees a problem, like being locked in 2nd gear, the CEL comes on.
On my 2001 XJ, I have tried several variations of locking it in 2nd gear but, no matter what, it throws a code. It also screws up the shifting when switching back to automatic operation.
I find it necessary to us a code scanner to clear the code to get the shifting back to normal.

I use brettm's shifter with my 98 and works good. But it does throw a code. But after a restart or two with it back in auto it shuts off.

Personally, I'm getting ready to install my controller from awshifting.com

why have control over 1-2 shift when I can control them all! muahahaha!

205429973765.jpg

KSXJ said:
I use brettm's shifter with my 98 and works good. But it does throw a code. But after a restart or two with it back in auto it shuts off.

yeah it says somewhere on his site that it always throws code on late models...but apparently its no big deal.

Hello everyone! Officially new to NAXJA, but I've been using the forum for a while now.

I am looking in to doing the same mod, but the anatomy of the 97 and later models is not the same. Where do I find the wire that feeds the #2 solenoid?
I figure that if you only use it when wheeling, you can reset the CEL, and turning off the key would also help prevent the "screwing up the shifting" thing.

Back