• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel tank top-off problems?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever experienced issues topping off the fuel tank in their XJ? After spending about 10 days at the body shop, it seems as though mine is taking 2 to 3 gallons less when I go to fill it up. The pump shuts off as it's supposed to, but the gauge only rises to a range of just over the 7/8 mark to just under full. It used to go past full and sit there until I got 30 miles or so on it.

The Jeep sat with about a 1/4 tank, so my first thought was maybe some rust or something developed on the float mechanism and prevented it from rising all the way, but that doesn't seem to be the case as the needle starts dropping immediately as I start putting miles on.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

no suggestions as I will be following this post. I have had this for the past 5 years. I'd say about twice a year the needle will go past full.

Besides that, no matter how low the gas gauge gets, I have not put in over 16 gallons in the tank before it shuts off. Quirky and slightly annoying, but I guess I have never really addressed it.

Think my Jeep is doing the same thing. Doesn't seem to go past Full much anymore, and starts dropping below full much faster than I remember it doing back when it was my DD about 6 months ago

my 97 did the same thing for a while then the gas gauge start inconsistantly bounced empty full empty full for a while until eventually staying at empty forever lol. ive talked to a couple other techs at local shops around my area and they seem to replace alot of fuel pump/float assembly's on this generation Xj and Zj's. and actually i personally did a job on a Tj once, bairly got tapped in the ass, i replaced the bumper and caps in the rear and made a small collision pull on the rear body x-member and the float failed, insurance company paid us to drop the tank and put a fuel pump in it for the guy. Id say its definately possible this is accident related even if it was a small bump. quote this paragraph to the body shop and tell them to file a supliment claim. good luck.

oh yeah and to back it up, i forgot to mention my Xj did this from the day i bought it, and i bought it wrecked, it was hit in the front i put two fenders and a bumper on it. So id reallllly say the odds of the shock from the accident causing this are pretty good.

Back