• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump relay

93jeepcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
well i have determined that the key to all my problems is that the fuel pump relay is stuck in the open (on) position after it starts, it dies shortly after but since it is stuck in the on spot it is basically flooding it out. any ideas!

thanks
dave

If the engine starts but dies when you release the key, the problem is more likely to be the "ballast resistor". It is a cream colored resistor somewhere on the fenderwell or firewall.

By design, the ballast resistor is taken out of circuit when the key is in the full-right start position. But when you let off the key, that resistor is back in circuit.

Try jumpering this resistor. Safe to do as it is there only to reduce noise on the fuel pump circuit. Later model XJs don't even have this resistor. But your 93 definitely does; I believe 93 was the last year for them.

It does not 'flood out ' because it has a fuel return line. Sounds more like what BIRCHLAKE said. It has a cranking override that keeps the pump on while cranking. When you let off on the key it goes to normal mode which is through the ballast resistor. Try jumping it out .
Ron

Back