• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: 1998 BMW E36 M3 Coupe - 5 Speed - Rare Color

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Name: Rick R
Contact Info: PM Please

Year: 1998
Make: BMW
Model: E36 M3
Color: Techno Violet
Mileage: 112000
Transmission: Manual

Price: 9500

Description: I am purchasing a Mini Cooper S and looking to sell my M3.

PA Inspected 'til 11/11. No test drives unless you have cash in hand.

Factory options: Techno Violet Metallic (very rare) paint (Looks black, dark blue, purple, etc), Dove Gray Vader style leather seats, 6 disc changer in trunk, tape/AM/FM/weather band radio, power sunroof, painted M wheels, etc.

Bad: Needs alignment (It's not too bad though as it is), one dent on the hood next to the BMW roundel, needs front lower grille insert and lip (I can source these pretty easily), drive side door handle is broken, but works fine, paint chips on the rear bumper, small hole on rear leather seats.

Mods: 2" H&R Race lowering kit, Koni shocks, Delrin (Teflon quality) Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (RTAB's), B&B Triflo oval outlet exhaust (Sounds sick!), Dinan Cold Air Intake, reprogrammed ECU, upgraded aluminum radiator, HID kit in ZKW E-code projector headlights with LED city light, drilled rotors, 30% tinted windows from Shades of Gray, and more.

Photos I just took this morning (It's dirty thanks to the snow we had this morning) so you can see what it looks like. Pardon the quality, they are cell phone shots:

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

$9500 obo. NO TRADES, none!

no offense but it seems like a lot of $$ for some of this vintage and needing work..

Offense taken. I don't come into your F/S threads saying you are asking too much, do I?

Why don't you check actual market price on Auto Trader and other sites for a 98 M3, 5 speed, coupe. $7000 to $15,000 is the norm. Most are either a sedan, and/or auto trans. Price is not firm either as it states obo.

Alignment: $90
Hood dent: Used hood for $150 or dent removal for $50-$100
Lower grille insert: $25-$50
Front lip: $25-$50
Driver side door handle: $25-$90
Paint chips on the rear bumper: ??
Small hole on rear leather seats: ??

So, where is "the work" you are speaking of?

Thanks for your concern....

Last edited:
itd be a sweet car if it wasnt purple haha

good luck with the sale rick

itd be a sweet car if it wasnt purple haha

good luck with the sale rick

Hahah, Jon, I thought purple was your favorite color? I don't mind not selling it. I just figured a Mini is more economical for me. So, if it doesn't sell, no loss here as I LOVE this car :-D

I think there may be more headroom in the Mini than the M.

Front bumper lip and mesh insert have been ordered.

Bump.

Awesome car. My uncle almost bought this same car but wound up finding a 91 m5 instead

Thanks guys! Just sold this. Got an LS1 Trans Am :)

Thanks guys! Just sold this. Got an LS1 Trans Am :)

Wait...what?

Selling an E36 M to buy a Mini...HUH? Okay for economy...but and E36 M3 gets near 30 mpg on the highway...whatever. Then you sell it and buy a Trans Am?!?! I'm a big fan of the LS1 too, but double huh?!

This E36 had nasty electrical gremlins didn't? You can tell us now :) OBC telling you the rear brake lights were out? CEL for random $hit? Maybe the airbag light kept coming on telling you the seat belt tentioner was faulty? Come on...you can spill the beans now ;)

Never got the Mini. I traded the M3 in on my Trans Am. Not sure what you mean by double?

The only electrical issue I had with the M was the third brake light - it was a fuse. I replaced it and it worked fine after that. Once in a while the driver side HID ignitor wouldn't ignite the capsule, but that was due to the ballast/ignitor starting to show their age. The airbag light I never traced to the source. CEL was never on while I owned the car. Had few issues with that car.

The M3 had a 16.4 gallon tank and I got 300 +/- miles out of it on average = 18.3 MPG
The Trans Am has a 15.5 gallon tank and I get 250 +/- miles out of it = 16.1 MPG.

These averages are with 45 minutes of morning rush hour traffic & 1 hour+ of afternoon rush hour traffic to/from work. If I am all highway I can get 300+ miles out of it. I'm getting it tuned for better MPG & power this week, possibly on Sunday afternoon.

Wow you only got 18.3 mpg in the M3? I always romp on my '99 M3 and I average 24.3 mpg, and 28-30 mpg at 75mph on the highway.

Wow you only got 18.3 mpg in the M3? I always romp on my '99 M3 and I average 24.3 mpg, and 28-30 mpg at 75mph on the highway.

never seen a car that gets 6mpg better than the factory states... (assuming you get 30 mph) To get 24.3 you must be doing 99% freeway driving? My 98 M3 (had it in 99-2000 never got anywhere close to that even on the freeway doing 60mph.

My OBC said I was getting 24 MPG average, but doing the math when filling up I was getting much less.

Back