• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRS radios

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
How many folks have these?

I have a few, would be nice to have everyone doing tech, registration, and such have one especially in the mornings...could be good to have on the trail as well since the range is better than a cb.

mac 'I also have 2m/ham radio as well' gyvr

What exactly are frs radios? Are they like the walkie talkie radios with different channels on them?

I do not have any. However, I was checking them out on eBay. They have an 8 pack for sale, cobra cx210, gmrs/frs radios. If these look good, I'd be happy to purchase them and donate them to the club. Let me know.

I have a few, I don't think that anyone needs to buy any at this point, just seeing what's out there...

mac 'or even if its a good idea' gyvr

I have a few, I don't think that anyone needs to buy any at this point, just seeing what's out there...

mac 'or even if its a good idea' gyvr

Honestly, I think it's a really good idea. It would be nice if each trail leader or gunner carried one in case other groups needed to get in contact with them. Last year the orange trail group ran late and missed the group pic and I'm sure it would of been nice to be able to get into contact with us instead of having to wait around to see if we showed up.

It would also be nice in case someone had a question or needed verification on something with tech or registration. Tech could keep registration informed when things were winding down on that end or registration could get ahold of tech if they had a question. Much faster than running around searching for people!

I agree and works better than a cell phone sometimes at the Badlands.

I even have one that will mount as a base unit in my Jeep.

mac 'antennas everywhere' gyvr

I agree and works better than a cell phone sometimes at the Badlands.

I even have one that will mount as a base unit in my Jeep.

mac 'antennas everywhere' gyvr

Cell phone coverage is definitely hit or miss there. One year I had cell coverage in one part of my tent, but not the other?!

Tara and I have two sets.....

Back