• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front D44 aussie locker issues

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed my Aussie last night inn my front D44. Now my axle shafts don't go in far enough. The still have about 1/4" on each side that needs to go in. Any ideas?

Did you try fitting the shafts to the Aussie pieces outside of (away from) the diff to verify that they fit? I'm assuming you mean the spline ends of the shafts aren't going into the Aussie?

the splines end is going in. The shaft is stopping about 1/4" before full engagement.

The cups are going the correct direction I already checked, I think my shafts are too long, they were probably riding against the cross shaft when I just had the spiders in there.

stock waggy I think

Did the cross shaft have wear marks where the axle shafts were riding on it? I would pull one of the side gears out from the aussie and check fitment on the shaft

I think I figured it out, The axles I have are 70s Waggy shafts with the sides reversed so its drivers drop. looks like the housing got narrowed too far. I bought it narrowed of of a guy on craigslist so I guess I'll stuck with it like it is. But I found IH scout shafts that are what I need length wise so i'll order those and be good

With my narrowed HPD44, I use waggy shafts but have to trim about .25" inches off the splines to get them to engage all the way. On Yukon shafts, there is enough spline to make that work, on my new Superiors I had to get the splines extended slightly on the long side shaft.

Never heard about the IH shafts...that working out?

-----Matt-----

let you know next week, Mine is apparently 70s Waggy and the scout shafts are about .25" narrower than those.

Back