• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

few Questions on UJoints

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
i have what i believe are 260x joints in my front Dana 30.

What does it take to step up to the "297x" or the "760x" joints?

Is this just a stronger upgrade to what i have? Or do i need whole new axle shafts to fit these larger joints?

I guess you could say im "Half ass educated" on front shafts.. I know i'd like to get the alloy USA shafts one day, but for now i'd like to see if i can make what i have a little stronger.

So far, my 260's have been fine, but im Aussie lockin the front in 2 weeks, and would like to figure out some added strength

Keep in mind, im only on 31"s right now, and wont be on 33''s for awhile, even then, i dont see me drivin too hard with 33s considering im still on a D35..

Dana 30 high pinion - 1989-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints. All 1995+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints. Some axles through 1991 are vacuum disconnect. 1992+ are non-disconnect.

If you have shafts with 260x joints you will need to find and install some stronger 5-297x axle shafts. 5-297x and 5-760x are fully interchangeable.

ok well, i have 2 Dana 30s, One of them is out of an 89 wagoneer that had ABS. it is NOT a Vacuum disconnect axle (i've only seen one of those). So i am assuming it has the 297x joints?

the other axle is in another 89 (parts rig), without Vacuum disconnect, and NO abs. so i am correct that this axle has 260x joints?

Correct me if I'm wrong in this post anywhere, But that would mean my Trail rig already has 297 joints, and my spare Shafts have 260 joints.

Is it worth the money to upgrade to 760x joints, and keep the 260 shafts for spares? Or should i just throw in the 760x joints and keep the 297s in my trail repair kit?

Just looking for what would be optimal and most needed...

btw, thanks for the Very helpful info! can you tell what joints i have if i were to post pictures? or is it visually too similar?

You can measure the u-joint caps with a caliper and determine if they are 260 or 297. I forget the exact measurements, but the 297 will of course, have larger caps.

Back