• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eagle SX/4 what is it?

FatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to buy an Eagle SX/4 that is pretty beat up but I just want it to make a fun rally car out of. I don't know what year it is but it looks to be an early 80's model. It's a 2 door hatchback it has a 4 cylinder with a 4 speed manual 4wheel drive and 31's on it with 15x8 black steelies. We couldn't get it to start last night because the battery was dead and the engine hadn't been run since last fall. The price is $150 with an extra set of stock wheels with tires, transmission, and transfercase to go with it.

I don't know much about this car but I know I have never seen one in this model and he had two!

I also noticed that the rear axle has a nut on it to hold the brake drum on so what axle does this thing have?

Any info would be great.

The rear axle sounds like an AMC 20. That nut is for the two-piece axle shaft setup like in CJ's. Not the best axle in the world,but it still sounds like a winner!

FWIW-Don't try and start the engine if it's sat that long! Pull the plugs and spray some penetrating oil into the cylinders first(WD-40,Kroil,or PB Blaster). Put in some fresh plugs,some fresh gas,and change the oil,then attempt to start it. You'll be better off doing this than wiping out an engine that could've been a good runner,and the cost of these items is just cheap insurance that it won't happen. Once you get it started and running good,change the tranny/t-case fluids and you'll be set.

The axle is proble the corprate amc 7 3/4(i belive) its not even as strong as the 20. If ya have any questions I have alot of experrince with eagles. I've always wanted to put a stroker in a SX/4 and have some fun.

Yeah, AMC usually used a smaller axle behind the 6-cyl than they did behind the V-8s, and I expect the 4-banger Eagles got the same axle as the 6-cylinder cars.

The SX/4 is a neat package and I have always lusted for one, but could never quite justify it. Needs work to be a serious off-roader, though. The transfer case is a full-time case, probably using a viscous coupler in the transfer case, and the transfer case doesn't have a low range. I'm not sure what transfer case they used, but it shouldn't be too hard to swap in something like a 231 for "real" 4WD.

I don't think the engine is the same as the Cherokee 4-cyl. If it is a very late Eagle it might be, but more likely it's the Pontiac "Iron Duke," which AMC was buying from Generous Motors for a few years while they tooled up their own 4-banger.

Good luck with it. My sister-in-law had one, but she sold it before I knew she was getting rid of it or I would probably own it.

I know it has a 4wd selector on the dash but it went bad so it is in permanent 4wd. The Eagle that runs is from the late 70's to early 80's for sure but the parts car looks like a Gremlin and it's also 4wd. The parts car is junk however because the floor is rotted away. Too bad because a 4wd Gremlin would have been pretty cool.

My uncle had one SX-4 and one 4wd Spirit. I have to say tearing around the farm with that SX-4 was a bunch of fun, till my cousin burned out the clutch and hit a barn with it.

Back