• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft noise...No vibs

dan9891

NAXJA Forum User
Hello on my way to school one day I heard a noise coming from the front that sounded like if something was loose. As I was about to pull over it stopped. Long story short this noise only starts when I get above 15mph or so and is constant for a couple minutes then stops (no vibs). The noise only appears when the Jeep has been sitting for awhile. If I drive for 10 minutes or so then turn it off and start it back up in a couple minutes the noise isn't there. Seems to only appear when the Jeep is cold..

When I finally got some free time I decided to take a look at the wheel bearings (Jeep has 208K miles with 31's) figured they would be shot. I replaced them and noticed my axle U joints were bad so I replaced them as well. After finishing I did a test drive and the noise was still there.

Today I disconnected the front Drive shaft the noise did go away, but the U joints and the drive shaft are in good condition. Would the noise be something from the internals of the drive shaft? Should I get it balanced or just find a new one? I would like to have the drive shaft back in as soon as possible. Jeep doesn't seem right without 4wd...

It's a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a 6.5" inch lift and NP231 transfer case.

It seems unlikely for a driveshaft with good u-joints and no vibration to make noise. I would think about what turns inside the transfer case when the drivehaft is in place.

Whoops, I just read 6.5" lift. You'd get better answers in the MODIFIED forum. And your 2000 has the low-pinion front end, so driveshaft angle probably enters in to it.

Back