• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't you just LOVE a clean car?

carmike692000

NAXJA Forum User
I took about 3.5 to 4 hours yesterday to clean up my Jeep. I typically spend a little longer on it when I wash/wax/vacuum it, but I didn’t spend near as much time washing it yesterday. I think I probably waste too much time on washing it most of the time. (Not saying it’s not an important step, but I think I’ve been fairly inefficient with it.)

Anyways, then I waxed it. Both of our waxes (both Turtle wax) have those foam applicators, and I just hate them. You can’t use them but a few times before they start coming apart and flaking into the wax and getting all over your car. Well, yesterday I used a microfiber cloth to apply the wax (also use one for washing, drying, and cleaning windows). I really liked the way that worked.

I then got to work on the windows. I HATE having to clean windows, but I really forced myself to do a decent job and probably spent 20 to 30 minutes on them. Used the same old NAPA aerosol spray I’ve been using, cleaned with a paper towel (actually, about 30 of them!), and then ‘buffed’ the window immediately after with a microfiber cloth. Worked really well. I’m certainly VERY happy. Cleanest I think my windows have EVER been. Now, on a side note, I keep hearing people talking about how great using newspaper works. I think I may give that a try next time.

Then I spent another 20 minutes or so vacuuming it out.

Ever since yesterday I’ve just been so happy about how good it looks. It’s certainly not the most thorough I’ve been, as I didn’t even touch the door jambs or the engine bay, but the body still looks as good, and with the windows being so clean (as well as the mirrors), it just looks awesome to me. So, of course, I had to take pictures.

But, I went easy. Only took about 60. :p

I think it looks pretty good for a 1995 Cherokee with 153,000 miles on it. However, it does have two weird streaks on the passenger side where the paint is rubbing off. And, I’d also like to repaint the bumpers and windshield wipers sometime this summer as well as doing something with the grill.

Let me know what you think!

IMG_2305.jpg

Tinted side window:
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

Bring it!
IMG_2322.jpg

Yes, that's a pure, perfect reflection of Dad's Jetta in the window and then the mirror. I love clean glass! :D
IMG_2330.jpg

Amp under my seat. I made the wires a little neater, though I really should re-run (and replace!) the speaker wires.
IMG_2335.jpg

Pretty clean interior. :)
IMG_2342.jpg

Oh yeah, that's my Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris "All the Roadrunning" CD in the console there. :) Had it playing the ENTIRE time. I'm surprised my battery didn't die.
IMG_2344.jpg

Pioneer Premier HU.
IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

Sorry for such a long post and so many pictures...I'm just really excited about it. Which is pretty awesome seeing as how I've had it for four or five years now. :)

Aaaand, if you wanna see more pics (they're full size!), you can view my photobucket album here:
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q66/carmike692000/Jeep/1995 XJ/6-05-2008/

Looks good. But 4 hrs cleaning it??? ;)

P.S: Mine would be pointless to spend that much time one. The paint is just flat black spray paint and the front end is all falling apart (busted turn signal, cracked grill and fascia, etc). There was a time when I would clean it up and feel real good bout it though...before I beat it up. :D

Last edited:
I have to get around to cleaning my interior. Havent cleaned the dust out of it since i bought the thing a yr ago. of course it doesnt and will never look as good as yours. I wheel mine, and lets say im not too careful with it with brush and rocks and things. Still looks decent after going to the carwash:)

I never leave anything in the Jeep. Its always clean inside. Outside is another story though. Needs a good waxing.

Looks good. I think the paint looks as good or better than my 98.

I can't take that many pictures of the Jeep (at one time) without the family starting to make fun of me. ;)

i used to be anal about this too, but after my last few wheeling trips i havent even made an attempt to clean it, hit a muddy creek crossing with the windows down and no rear flares and ya mud all in the windows! yippeeee:roflmao:

maybe next week, whats a good wax to use on it?

Mtb Jak said:
i used to be anal about this too, but after my last few wheeling trips i havent even made an attempt to clean it, hit a muddy creek crossing with the windows down and no rear flares and ya mud all in the windows! yippeeee:roflmao:

I've waxed my XJ once in 10 years of ownership. Lazy, and my Dad told me long ago that wax dulls the paint. I actually just waxed it about 3 months ago.

I used the old standard, Turtle Turtle...

Every since the weather has been getting nice out I've spent a lot of time cleaning/washing/waxing the Jeep too. But I highly recommend this:
http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

Not for the guy who has one car that he waxes once a year, but for me, I wax mine about three times a year, and I wax all my dads cars for him(5 cars, 3 of which are show cars, and he pays well), this thing is GREAT. Easier, faster, and a better job than doing it by hand(I've done it by hand since I bought this and UGH!)

Thanks for all the kind comments, folks. Really appreciate it! :)

Yeah, I know what y'all mean about it being pointless. If you wheel your Jeep a lot...well, mud is a really good color for a lifted Jeep! :D However, mine's still stock and I don't wheel it (don't worry, when it's no longer my DD it WILL get lifted!), and such it's already in such good condition I can't bring myself to mess it up too much.

Mudderoy said:
I can't take that many pictures of the Jeep (at one time) without the family starting to make fun of me.
Hahaha! Yeah, I don't think anyone noticed me out there with my camera. I did feel a little narcissistic...but it's worth it! :D Got one that makes a GREAT wallpaper for my cell phone, too.

Mtb Jak said:
Ask 10 people and you'll get at least 7 or 8 answers. I've mainly used turtle wax and it's never disappointed me. However, I've used some commercial wax, Eagle wax, and something else, and they seemed to work pretty well, too. To be honest, it's a Jeep, not a show car...do a good job waxing it and about anything will do a decent enough job. However, that being said, I would still like to play around with different waxes and find one that really stands out.

Looks great, I wish my paint were that good!

now switch to a better product than turtle wax. I use P21S on my Accord, it shines great.

IslanderOffRoad said:
now switch to a better product than turtle wax. I use P21S on my Accord, it shines great.
Hmm, never heard of that stuff. I am definitely interested in trying other waxes, though, and see what I can find that does a good job. Ease of use is really nice, and shine is great, but given that it is a Jeep and it does have some scratches and dents...I mainly do it for the protection. Or so I tell myself. I wonder if some waxes do a better job of protecting the paint than others.

4LowandGo said:
I found a great low effort way to clean mine. It was so easy... and fun too! Check it out:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...o/101_0399.jpg

Then I ran it though this one good time for an underside rinse:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...o/101_0420.jpg
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! You're right, it does look like fun!!!

Damn that looks good.....

Sometime this weekend I will be cleaning mine. I figure that the my vehicle and I should be squeaky clean for the interview.....

I know the car doesn't have to be spotless, but I always clean mine before some big event.....

Nice Job, How much do you charge? LOL I would spend the time cleaning mine if the paint on my 98 didn't have a million little cracks throughout the entire paint job. The AZ sun really really eats up paint.

My XJ looks JUST like that...but no flares and has 8" lift waggy 44s and 37s with cut fenders...

but i washed it and armoralled it yesterday...also found some tire shiny stuff and put that on the tires...sure is purdy....the washing really brough out the custom nature pin striping and the totaled nissan altima dent....lol

:eyes:
heres mine when it was like yours
jeepproject036.jpg

and now:

jsdbvgfasdk003.jpg

I'm waiting on the UPS guy to get here with my new head unit. As for washing the TJ, hose inside and out, beat the floor mats clean on the nearest tree. Going to replace the front fender this summer, thats the one that got bent when my daughter broke the saturn in half a couple a years ago. Then it gets new paint, got enough 'trade time' to get it done for nothing at one of my body shop customers.

poorboy_616 said:
Damn that looks good.....

Sometime this weekend I will be cleaning mine. I figure that the my vehicle and I should be squeaky clean for the interview.....

I know the car doesn't have to be spotless, but I always clean mine before some big event.....
Thanks, man! Appreciate it!

Good luck on that interview!

epitaphmike said:
Nice Job, How much do you charge? LOL I would spend the time cleaning mine if the paint on my 98 didn't have a million little cracks throughout the entire paint job. The AZ sun really really eats up paint.
Thanks! Hahaha! If you were closer, I'd definitely enjoy washing and waxing together. Bit of a long drive, though.

And I agree. It's depressing a lot of times when I'm up that close to it waxing it. You can just see ALL the scratches. And though it looks good at a distance, it does have a LOT of scratches when you get up close to it.

ChrisRFewell - Wow, it sure was clean in that first pic! It really looks awesome as it is now. I'd ideally like to get this one on 33's at some point with bumpers, rock sliders, etc, but keep it in general good condition. Then get another to beat on.

RichP - What kind of HU do you have coming?

Last edited:
Back