• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributor questions

xjhal

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,it started with a squeaky distributor.i pulled it out and slid a spare I had in,tightening the mounting bolt and snap,the mounting tab just snaps off.
Ok,so I put the guts of my spare into the old housing go to reinstall it and snap the mounting tab off this one,damn.I was being extremely careful not to overtighten it but it still did.By the way ,this is the distributor with a mounting tab,not a crowes foot hold down.
So what Im wondering is will a newer dist fit?I found tons of 1996s in the boneyard but they are held down with a crowes foot and the guts look completely diffrent,however the plug is the same.
Oh and I made a gasket,which might be my problem,I didnt have an old gasket in there but usually dizzys have one so I made one.Maybe that raised it enough where the mounting tab didnt sit flat??This is my daily so I need to get it fixed asap.

XJHAL, it sounds like the distributor wasn't fully seated
into the oil pump shaft...?

Look into the dist hole with a flashlight and see if you
can align the dist shaft with the pump shaft. You might have
to turn the pump shaft slightly to get it to align.

Distributor gasket???

FEL-PRO Part # 70051
MoreInfo2.png

us.gif
ca.gif
1 11/32" OD
getimage.php

XJHAL, it sounds like the distributor wasn't fully seated
into the oil pump shaft...?

Look into the dist hole with a flashlight and see if you
can align the dist shaft with the pump shaft. You might have
to turn the pump shaft slightly to get it to align.

This^ You can still use the distributor with the broken tab, just make or find a distributor clamp and line up the dizzy as close as you can to its original location.

Back