• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daylight savings time fix on windows boxes

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Is MS bundling in the DST fix with their updates making it transparent to the end user or does it require the DST FIX to be run ?
I know I have to do it manually on my older unix systems and all my java boxes but not sure on the windows side. I also noticed that java pushed down an update over the last two days, not had time to poke thru the java site, are they updating the jre dst or not ?
I have a busy weekend from customers that are suddenly 'aware' of the issue.

RichP said:
Is MS bundling in the DST fix with their updates making it transparent to the end user or does it require the DST FIX to be run ?

They're bundling it with the critical updates, IIRC. Been going out for a while now.

Apple sent me an update for my Mac last week.
Wayne

You might have a problem there 5-90. Is MS still supporting Win2k? I know they dropped Win2K Server this year and I had to bump my last box up to 2003.

If you are running a stand alone machine that doesn't see internet access you shouldn't have any issues.

anodyne33 said:
You might have a problem there 5-90. Is MS still supporting Win2k? I know they dropped Win2K Server this year and I had to bump my last box up to 2003.

If you are running a stand alone machine that doesn't see internet access you shouldn't have any issues.

Thats not a real issue, tzedit will fix the timezone file if it has not been pushed down with the updates. I just checked 11 servers, win2k, win2003 and Suse10.2, all the windows ones I updated first which had not been done in a while and they updated w/tz fix done. The Suse boxes were done from the distribution. I did however have to update the JRE and JDK libs. Heading out to do 20 more this afternoon. I like barter :D getting my TJ repainted next month in lieu of billing from one call at a big body shop... :D :D :D :D

anodyne33 said:

They stopped with SP4, but I still get incremental updates from time to time. I just haven't been impressed enough with anything newer to bother upgrading. Win2K is, to me, what Win95/98 should have been, and I just don't see any need to integrate anything else (not that I'm being a Luddite in this case - I just don't approve of "feature creep" in an effort to keep selling stuff.)

Curious question - can anyone tell me what the basic installed size of Vista would be? I note that it ships on a DVD - which has me a bit concerned... No apps, and drivers to make the system work - I'm just curious.

Depends on the vista release. Tip though, buy the upgrade version, install it then reinstall it. Wipe the box initially, install it then reinstall it, it will work the second time because it sees it's first install as the base OS and the second time as the upgrade.:laugh3: :laugh3: I was picking up some 1gig sodimms for my new thinkpad and overheard a guy at staples asking the sales kid 'what version of vista should I get'. Told him the trick about the double install and the kid was taking notes, I figured every one knew about it.. it's the only real way to get a clean install. Oh, you do know it 'reactivates' itself every 180 days with a MS licensing server right.
Ultimate is nice as is aero but they still do the damn wrapper around the mpg files you record off the tuner card. I wiped it and reinstalled fedoracore and mythtv... this and my laptop are my last windows box and the laptop goes suse10.2 as soon as the new hatachi drive gets here..

RichP said:
Depends on the vista release. Tip though, buy the upgrade version, install it then reinstall it. Wipe the box initially, install it then reinstall it, it will work the second time because it sees it's first install as the base OS and the second time as the upgrade.:laugh3: :laugh3: I was picking up some 1gig sodimms for my new thinkpad and overheard a guy at staples asking the sales kid 'what version of vista should I get'. Told him the trick about the double install and the kid was taking notes, I figured every one knew about it.. it's the only real way to get a clean install. Oh, you do know it 'reactivates' itself every 180 days with a MS licensing server right.
Ultimate is nice as is aero but they still do the damn wrapper around the mpg files you record off the tuner card. I wiped it and reinstalled fedoracore and mythtv... this and my laptop are my last windows box and the laptop goes suse10.2 as soon as the new hatachi drive gets here..

Dunno - it's easier to not bother in the first place, but the damn marketing people are going to eliminate backwards compatibility with various versions of Win32, I'm fairly sure, and I'll be stuck sooner or later.

If the software base was there for *nix, I'd have converted a while ago. Alas, it isn't. Yet.

5-90 said:
Dunno - it's easier to not bother in the first place, but the damn marketing people are going to eliminate backwards compatibility with various versions of Win32, I'm fairly sure, and I'll be stuck sooner or later.

If the software base was there for *nix, I'd have converted a while ago. Alas, it isn't. Yet.

The ONLY thing missing is a nix version of quickbooks. Thats the show stopper. I've got a customer base here in the area of about 150 give or take a few now running Suse9, 10, and a few running fedoracore 5. Granted they are using them for browsing, shopping, email and a few have even bought the full licensed version of StarOffice. I would have more business clients if a reasonably priced book keeping program was out. As it is I am doing a pilot at a local realestate company with 6 offices, the only windows box left will be the bookeepers. I've already paved over 9 machines at the main office and two of four at each satellite office and they have been running for over a month now. The new versions of Suse, 10.1 and 10.2 connect to a windows share faster than a windows box does and are a better domain controller than a windows server. It does help that I moved in HP network printers over the last year and broke them of the habit of having a directly connected printer on their PC, not to mention that HP actually has linux drivers for their more professional line of products and even if they don't it's no big deal to edit a couple of files and make the printer work, maybe not with all the bells and whistles that windows stuffs in there to make you think it's better.
Yes, I'm a unix bigot and don't deny it. I can't wait to wipe the new laptop and load suse on it... I bought a nice Thinkpad with a Pent M 2.0ghz processor, 60 gig HD, 256meg ram, dvd burner in ultra bay2k removable drive bay, a real serial port for working on cisco routers and such for $429 last week, just spent a $100 tonight for 2 1gig sticks of sodimm and $44 for a netgear PCMCIA a/b/g card. It's a refurb with warranty from IBM, new battery, Pwrsupply and looks brand new with titanium case and all, it's a 2 year old T30. It boots XP Pro in under 20 seconds to up and running. It also has an ATI video card with seperate memory, none of that shared stuff. Soon as that new hatachi hard drive gets here the original 2500rpm gets put in a drawer and the 7500rpm goes in, it'll run much quicker. For a real work machine NOTHING beats a thinkpad. I have always like IBM laptops and was tickled pink to find these at JR music world. When the owner saw it on friday he poked around looking at it and now wants to get rid of the Dell laptops and replace them with T60's, ok by me :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
Hey - the last good operating system Microsoft released was MD-DOS 6.0, and I ran DRDOS6 anyhow - since it worked better and had more tools. Still, I've never managed to knock over a DOS installation, and I've still got a legacy machine running DRDOS6.

The only good thing about Windows 3.x was that it was a shell that ran over DOS - you could nix it and go to DOS instead (I usually did.) I started getting cranky when they started dropping DOS support in Win32 - and when I ran 95 or 98, I installed DOS first and had a dual-boot machine.

I'll have to look into the *nix software base - can you send me some links?

As far as ThinkPads go, I'm in full agreement. My two "constant use" machines are a ThinkPad T30 and a NetVista G40 (desktop for heavy lifting and "leave-alone" jobs.) My wife runs a T20, and one of my boys has an R51e.

This T30 is about the fifth ThinkPad in a row I've owned - the first one (760XD) sits in my closed and manages my network. I can't find a battery for it anymore, so it shares the UPS with my DSL MODEM, router, and hubs. Need to get a new wall wart for my WAP, tho...

When I replace the T30, it's likely to be with another ThinkPad. They've never given me a reason to complain - while other outfits have (I've also had an old PowerBook, a couple of Toshibas, a Panasonic CF-41 Mk II [which ran a close second to my ThinkPads,) and an NEC Ultralite III (my first laptop - it ran a 386, but I don't recall what speed...)

Now, what can we do about doing away with Daylight Savings Time (which doesn't "save daylight" - it just makes us mess with the clocks a couple times a year. Arizona still doesn't bother, neither does Hawai'i. Indiana got started just last year - after Mitch Daniels told everyone he wouldn't do that to them...)

**Note, I stole this info from one of my service providers. :) **

As you may know, as part of the United States' Energy Policy Act of 2005 the Daylight Savings time period has shifted three weeks earlier than in previous years. This year, Daylight Savings starts on March 11th instead of April 1st. It should be noted that other regions have also adjusted their DST periods in response to the US changes. This change means that most computer systems will need to be updated so that their observance of DST is correct. This post outlines how to test and update your system so that you may make the transition successfully.
To prepare for the change, do the following:

1. Don't panic. This isn't that big of a change. The most likely side effect is simply that your system will perceive the time as being off by an hour, or will at least, output time an hour off to those users whose time zone's are set for one of the effected areas. This symptom will only be visible for three weeks in the Spring and one week in the Fall.

2. Check of your system needs updating. For UNIX/Linux systems you can use zdump(8) check your system's time zone database:

Code:
zdump -v America/Chicago | grep 2007
A patched system will display output like:

Code:
% zdump -v America/Chicago | grep 2007
America/Chicago  Sun Mar 11 07:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 01:59:59 2007 CST isdst=0
America/Chicago  Sun Mar 11 08:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 03:00:00 2007 CDT isdst=1
America/Chicago  Sun Nov  4 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:59:59 2007 CDT isdst=1
America/Chicago  Sun Nov  4 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:00:00 2007 CST isdst=0
An un-patched system will look like:

Code:
% zdump -v America/Chicago | grep 2007
America/Chicago  Sun Apr  1 07:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Apr  1 01:59:59 2007 CST isdst=0
America/Chicago  Sun Apr  1 08:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Apr  1 03:00:00 2007 CDT isdst=1
America/Chicago  Sun Oct 28 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 01:59:59 2007 CDT isdst=1
America/Chicago  Sun Oct 28 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 01:00:00 2007 CST isdst=0
Optionally check your /etc/localtime file so make sure it's been updated as well:

Code:
% zdump -v /etc/localtime  | grep 2007
/etc/localtime  Sun Mar 11 07:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 01:59:59 2007 CST isdst=0
/etc/localtime  Sun Mar 11 08:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 03:00:00 2007 CDT isdst=1
/etc/localtime  Sun Nov  4 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:59:59 2007 CDT isdst=1
/etc/localtime  Sun Nov  4 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:00:00 2007 CST isdst=0
For Windows systems, use Microsoft's February 13, 2007 Enterprise Update Scan Tool or look in Add/Remove programs for the right patch for your system.
3. Obtain the patch(es) you'll need for your operating systems. If you use Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 or 4 the necessary patch has likely already been delivered and installed as part of up2date. For Windows, Windows Update should have already installed the right patch. For other systems, you'll have to obtain and manually install new a time zone database. Later in this post are pointers to patches for various operating systems.

4. Install the patch(es). Once you've obtained the right patch(es) for your system, be sure to install them.

5. Test the patch(es). To test the patch(es) once they're installed, you can use the zdump(8) command from the above example on UNIX/Linux systems.
Operating System Specific instructions

Red Hat Linux

Red Hat Errata: http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2006-0622.html

Again, this should have already been installed for you. In the case that it's not, the following will manually install the tzdata package:

Code:
up2date tzdata
Red Hat suggests running system-config-date(8) after the installation of this package. In my experience, this wasn't necessary.
CentOS

If the yum(8) update cron job is enabled, then again, the new time zone database is likely already installed. If the tests fail, installing the tzdata package should fix your system. Do this like so:

Code:
yum update tzdata
FreeBSD

For FreeBSD, install the zoneinfo port in /usr/ports/misc/zoneinfo. You'll need a copy of this port from February 12, 2007. This can be obtained here in case you don't have a recent ports tree installed. Once the zoneinfo port is installed, you'll also need to run tzsetup(8) to set up your time zone again.
Solaris

The Sunsolve article on this topic: http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do...y=1-26-102775-1

For most Solaris installations, you'll need two patches. One patch contains a new time zone database, and the other contains a patch to libc. Sun's official guidance for which patches apply to which version are:

Sparc:
Solaris 8 with timezone patch 109809-06 or later and libc patch 108993-52 or later
Solaris 9 with timezone patch 113225-08 or later and libc patch 112874-33 or later
Solaris 10 with timezone patch 122032-04 or later and libc patch 119689-07 or later

x86:
Solaris 8 with timezone patch 109810-06 or later and libc patch 108994-52 or later
Solaris 9 with timezone patch 116545-06 or later and libc patch 114432-23 or later
Solaris 10 with timezone patch 122033-04 or later and libc patch 121208-03 or later

Since one of these patches is to libc, a reboot of your system is suggested.

Some notes, however:

Patch 112874-33 requires kernel patch 112233.

Patch 119689-07, is obsoleted by 118833-17.

We have not tested the Solaris 8 or the x86 patches.
Debian

For Debian Sarge, you'll need the glibc package 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge5 or greater. You can find it manually here: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/ or use apt-get.
Windows

Microsoft's Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst
Individual Patches for Windows Server 2003 and XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931836/
Instructions for non-supported systems: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387
Exchange and Outlook: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb267339.aspx

Most supported versions of Windows got a patch via Windows Update. If you're running an unsupported system, then you'll have to update your system manually.

Other Resources

Here's a pretty good page at Berkeley that contains information on more operating systems and software packages: http://istpub.berkeley.edu:4201/bcc/Spring2007/1019.html

Back