• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60/14 bolt axle swap question?

kinlawk

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys let me start by saying that I love this site and have been visiting for years. I have gotten alot of help and ideas on stuff like Muffler steel plating, power steering upgrades, boatsides and hidden winches. So thanks.

Where I wheel 35" tires are super fun (Uwharrie National Forest NC and Crozet Va.). I don't want to go above 37's, I'm scared it would take all the fun out of the trails I run. Right now I am running HD NP231 w/ S.Y.E., stock Dana 30/44 axles (3.55 gears) and fresh TSL 35's(crawl ratio 26:1). I love it but I need a lot more gear ( I want to crawl).

I think Dana 44 front would be a great option. It would cost alot of $$$$ to build a 44 front with 4.56's, locker, and high steer. Not to mention ball joints, hubs etc. I would guess close to $1500 minimum.

Here is my dilemma I have a chance to pick up a Chevy Dana 60 and a 14 bolt with fresh rebuilds, 4.56's, highsteer arms and detroits for $500. I know that the Chevy 60 is Pass. Drop, the same guy has a Dana 300 for $50. Add a Doubler kit for $500 and a BallisticFab 14 bolt Shave Kit, that puts me around $1300 with super strong set up and 110:1 crawl ratio.

Will this be to much for 35s? I know the 14 Bolt is huge but the shave kit increases ground clearance by 2".

What do you think about it?

I do alot of metal fab. in my job and am also a certified welder and will do all the fab myself. I feel comfortable change driveshaft lengths, welding and milling the 14 Bolt, building brackets, links etc...

019.jpg

Last edited:
35's and a 60 is gonna suck, with my 38's(measued 36") id hit the diffs on everything, sell the 35's for some real 38's or 39's

Do it to it!

sounds like you handle it, its a big project. Ive got worn 37" stickies on my 60 and shaved 14b. Rear axle has ~5/8" more ground clearance, both have RuffStuff covers. Yeah it hits sometimes, yeah I just keep pressing the gas and its all fine.

sounds like a good deal to me.

i would jump on it for $500 if everything is as advertised.

a 60 on 35's isnt the end of the world. i did it in the rear and it never stopped me from going anywhere. I know a couple people who have done front 60's with 35's and liked it. Just bring the width in a bit with some high backspaced wheels. Rob just has the track width of a schoolbus so he hit a lot more often.

Do it to it!

sounds like you handle it, its a big project. Ive got worn 37" stickies on my 60 and shaved 14b. Rear axle has ~5/8" more ground clearance, both have RuffStuff covers. Yeah it hits sometimes, yeah I just keep pressing the gas and its all fine.

This is what I want to hear. Did you have to upgrade the Dana 60 any? Like 35 spline outers?

ID say for the deeper gears and tcase for that price its worth it. plus sell your axles to fund the build. or just run 37s on your current setup and call it done.

sounds like a good deal to me.

i would jump on it for $500 if everything is as advertised.

a 60 on 35's isnt the end of the world. i did it in the rear and it never stopped me from going anywhere. I know a couple people who have done front 60's with 35's and liked it. Just bring the width in a bit with some high backspaced wheels. Rob just has the track width of a schoolbus so he hit a lot more often.

The guy selling the axles just finished a Yota with the same set up on 35's and stock f-250 wheels, it is wide but not to wide if you know what I am saying.

ID say for the deeper gears and tcase for that price its worth it. plus sell your axles to fund the build. or just run 37s on your current setup and call it done.

I would also be able to sale the HD NP231 w/ SYE for like $250.
Dana 30 w/ Spartan locker diff. cover $200
Dana 44 rear welded and diff cover $200

$650 return would definitely help.

This is what I want to hear. Did you have to upgrade the Dana 60 any? Like 35 spline outers?

Do you HAVE to for 35-37's? Not really, most of it will probably hold up fine. My 60 is pimped out with 35 spline chromos throughout and other goodies. I only wanted to build it once and Im running stickies with a lead foot, I dont wanna have to think about them.

I am going from 33s on a D30 to 36s on a D60. Both the 33s and 36s measure true to size. I will actually gain 1" of clearance under the pumpkin with the D60/36" combo. Granted I will be running harder terrain with the new setup, but I never felt like I was smacking my diff on rocks more than I should be with the old setup.

I have been looking for a chevy 60 shave kit but can not find one. I really like the Ballistic Fab. HP Dana 60 shave kit but i don't think that it will work on the Chevy 60.

I have been looking for a chevy 60 shave kit but can not find one. I really like the Ballistic Fab. HP Dana 60 shave kit but i don't think that it will work on the Chevy 60.
You'd have to basically do it from scratch. One of our members did one but I am not sure if he posted a thread about it. Search mroverkill

shaving an axle isnt that hard, if you can weld it the correct way. I wouldnt bother with a 60, even with a turned ring gear youre only gunna like 1/2-3/4". now when I did my 14b, thats worth it. I gained like over 2". I didnt bother with my HP60, just dont see the reason for all that work for that little gain on the axle.

i just chopped some metal off my 14 bolt. gained 1 1/4"

but i kinda wish i left it at 1. oh well, I can always weld metal to the bottom or do one of the more complicated shave kits when it starts getting thin

Back