• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DAC Tour & Meeting Report

Bakerhab

NAXJA Forum User
This post does not bear good news, so if after reading it, you want to shoot the messenger, fire away. If on the other hand, you recognize that the messenger is not the enemy, then perhaps you need to realize that you need to take a more proactive stance to save Johnson Valley.

Helen
www.pfjv.org

I attended the DAC tour on Friday, and I too heard all of the wonderful comments made by the DAC members and the others in attendance. Incidentally, in case you didn't get to meet him, San Bernardino County First District Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt went on the ride.

It was truly wonderful that all of you gave freely of your time and your equipment to show the Advisory Council just how special Johnson Valley is to all of us. I know that by the end of the day you were all pretty hyped up over the how well your efforts were received. I have no doubt that there was a great deal of 'bench racing' done by the DAC members on their way back to Barstow. I bet there was a lot of "I can top that stories" of daring-do by their drivers. With this tour being an unqualified success, and without a doubt, one of the best that has ever been presented to the DAC, I, and I'm sure all of you had high hopes that surely the DAC would be very vocal in their comments to the BLM and the Military, that Johnson Valley MUST be saved.

I went to the DAC meeting the following day, with visions of grand statements of support for saving Johnson Valley dancing in my head.

What did I hear instead? The sounds of silence! The rave reviews of the previous day were nowhere to be heard. The DAC members were back to business as usual, and when the representative for the Barstow BLM gave the required report of the previous day's tour, what did it consist of? Words to the effect of, 'What you saw yesterday was just a small part of Johnson Valley, there's more to it than just that one area.' HUH? To say that I was shocked by the failure to recognize the effort that went in to giving the DAC members, the 'ride of their life,' is a gross understatement!

I know that the volunteers were thanked on Friday out on the lakebed, but frankly, none of that is part of the public record, and in general terms, if it ain't in the minutes, it didn't happen.

I will give credit to Steve Borchard, the California Desert District Manager, who did make a statement for the record. Mr. Borchard said, "It was an exciting and illustrative ride, thanks to the volunteers and their equipment."

Later in the meeting, following a briefing by Col. Weston, USMC, I thought that surely, now the DAC members would speak up in support of saving Johnson Valley, after all they could make their statement directly to the Colonel. Didn't happen. At no time during the meeting, did the council take any position of support for saving Johnson Valley.

There was one bright point in the day, and that was when DAC member Dinah Shumway pointedly challenged the Marines by saying, you should include looking at wilderness areas, because everyone should be asked to support the military, not just the recreationalists! She continued, "No one sector of our community should be asked to sacrifice." I thought, perhaps now, the council would speak out to save Johnson Valley. They did not.

Did the advisory council give any advice to the BLM during the meeting? Yes, they asked them to implement the following rules on BLM land: no wood with metal, no glass, and implement a 10:00 PM curfew for noise. Oh yes, and some other motion about putting up more signs.

All and all, I was hugely disappointed in the BLM and the DAC, and I am very proud of the Off Road Community.

Is the OHV community represented on the DAC?

Yes.

Dick Holliday of the American Sand Association holds the seat assigned for recreation. Dick's area of interest is primarily Glamis.

Additionally, Meg Grossglass from ORBA holds a public-at-large seat.

Helen baker
www.pfjv.org

So neither of these members spoke up for JV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerhab
Yes.

Dick Holliday of the American Sand Association holds the seat assigned for recreation. Dick's area of interest is primarily Glamis.

Additionally, Meg Grossglass from ORBA holds a public-at-large seat.

Helen baker
www.pfjv.org

So neither of these members spoke up for JV?

I didn't write down anything significant, that either of them said about Johnson Valley, they may have asked the Colonel a question or commented during his briefing, but neither one put forth any motion regarding Johnson Valley.

The bottom line here folks is that Edit: (most) politicians are motivated by "what's in it for me". If you cannot offer them some political gain then they won't go out of their way to help you. I suggest people do their best to get the press involved to support our side of the issue. Maybe we can shame our elected officials into doing their job of representing their constituants like they get paid to do.

The bottom line here folks is that Edit: (most) politicians are motivated by "what's in it for me". If you cannot offer them some political gain then they won't go out of their way to help you. I suggest people do their best to get the press involved to support our side of the issue. Maybe we can shame our elected officials into doing their job of representing their constituants like they get paid to do.

That's not just politicians, its been my experiance that stands true for many of our land-use advocates as well. It's unfortunate, but seriously, look at ORBA and tell me its not true.

That's not just politicians, its been my experiance that stands true for many of our land-use advocates as well. It's unfortunate, but seriously, look at ORBA and tell me its not true.

No kidding, you would think with all the different types of toys (quads, SxS, bikes, jeeps, ace vehicles, you name it) that are used out in JV that ORBA would be rallying hard for JV.

No kidding, you would think with all the different types of toys (quads, SxS, bikes, jeeps, ace vehicles, you name it) that are used out in JV that ORBA would be rallying hard for JV.

I have been in the room with Meg and various other ORBA people about a dozen times since I became interested/aware/active in Land-Use.

Each and every time I have walked away with the distinct impression all they care about is securing their paycheck. If you aren't putting it in their pocket, they don't give a damn.

San Bernardino County First District Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt is a pretty good friend of my Dad's I see him about once a week Im gona have to corner him about this and see if I can twist his arm

Most people know I have great respect for Harry and Helen. They have dedicated many, many years working for the off-road community and have made great strides in helping us maintain access to our land, but...

I am finding it hard to find the appropriate response here.....
Helen, what did you expect the Desert Advisory Council to say or do at thier meeting?
Did you spend any time after the tour to talk to the members and get thier response?
Do you think they did not 'get it?'

Just so everyone knows, I was at the DAC run out in JV on Friday. We lined up all the rigs that volunteered to give rides up to Fissure Trail, and gave the members of DAC a chance to see first hand what JV is to us.
It could not have turned out better. The members got to see and experience what we do, from an extraction of a broken rig on the trail, to getting to see all of JV from one of the most scenic overviews the desert has to offer.
NOBODY from DAC left without a new perspective of what we do.

The tour of JV by the DAC was a complete and total success.

I am disappointed that Helen sees it differently.
I wonder why.
:dunno:

San Bernardino County First District Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt is a pretty good friend of my Dad's I see him about once a week Im gona have to corner him about this and see if I can twist his arm

Do that.
But I'd bet you will find out that Brad has the same opinion as I do about the tour of JV.

BTW the only thing I wish we would have been able to do was have introductions of all the DAC people, a well as the other people dignitaries in attendance.
I have read about them and heard what many of them have to say about JV and it would have been nice to put a face to a name, but as with most JV trips, some unforeseen difficulties caused a few delays :D and we ran out of time.

Still, I wish all of you could have been there. Once again NAXJA was mentioned and noted as an example of how a national organization was involved in a regional issue.

One other note here, the DAC is decidedly pro access.

Most people know I have great respect for Harry and Helen. They have dedicated many, many years working for the off-road community and have made great strides in helping us maintain access to our land, but...

I am finding it hard to find the appropriate response here.....
Helen, what did you expect the Desert Advisory Council to say or do at thier meeting?
Did you spend any time after the tour to talk to the members and get thier response?
Do you think they did not 'get it?'

Just so everyone knows, I was at the DAC run out in JV on Friday. We lined up all the rigs that volunteered to give rides up to Fissure Trail, and gave the members of DAC a chance to see first hand what JV is to us.
It could not have turned out better. The members got to see and experience what we do, from an extraction of a broken rig on the trail, to getting to see all of JV from one of the most scenic overviews the desert has to offer.
NOBODY from DAC left without a new perspective of what we do.

The tour of JV by the DAC was a complete and total success.

I am disappointed that Helen sees it differently.
I wonder why.
:dunno:

Agreed, and I'm having issues with this sentance as well:

If on the other hand, you recognize that the messenger is not the enemy, then perhaps you need to realize that you need to take a more proactive stance to save Johnson Valley.

This, I think, was the exact wrong forum to post that in.

Betty Munson, who posts on Pirate as Ranchotaj, is the President of the Johnson Valley Improvement Association. Betty also writes a weekly column for the Yucca Valley Hi-Desert Star. Betty would like to include the names of the clubs that participated in the March 20, 2009 DAC tour in her next article.

So, if you were there, post up. Betty's deadline is Tuesday, March 24.

Helen Baker
www.pfjv.org

Back