• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cyl head

Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I am wanting to know if there is a diff in a 1991 2.5 cyl head and a 1985 2.5 head are they interchangeable.Have a chance to get a 91 head and was going to rebuild it to put on my 85 xj. Figg that way wouldn't be down for over a day or so any help please thank you

Dobbs said:
Hello I am wanting to know if there is a diff in a 1991 2.5 cyl head and a 1985 2.5 head are they interchangeable.Have a chance to get a 91 head and was going to rebuild it to put on my 85 xj. Figg that way wouldn't be down for over a day or so any help please thank you

83-85 work, and then 86 up. Sorry.

I wasn't aware of any major differences. I put an 86 intake and TB fuel injection on my 85 carb'd engine with no problems. By the way it makes a huge difference in power and mileage.

old_man said:
I wasn't aware of any major differences. I put an 86 intake and TB fuel injection on my 85 carb'd engine with no problems. By the way it makes a huge difference in power and mileage.

well sometimes my info is not quite complete....But they say the block is different too. :dunno:

When in doubt, I go look up my friendly parts guy and lay one head gasket over the other, if most of the holes line up, your probably OK. The holes that don´t line up, require a little investigation.

head gaskets are the same 84-87. 88s are different, according to the manny.

Thanks guys I found some info on heads may help some one later from what the dealer told me and a fu cyl head rebuild shops.The heads are interchangeable from 85 to 02 the head gaskets are diff.85 to 87 uses a steel gasket and torques diff 88 and up uses a composet gasket and torques diff.but eather can be used on 85 thru 87 useing the composet lowers compressionon 85 thru 87. Head bolts can be used once then need to be replaced. There are two diff heads on later models one is alum one cast iron if they interchage I could't find any info.

Back