• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Country Fried Weekend, 2014. Dont miss it!

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im cross posting this from ExpeditionPortal.com. Its simply copy and pasted from that site. If you have question, let me know on here or on their. Myself and a few others have been doing this event for a few years, and it gets bigger and better every year.

The original/official thread is here. You may have to sign up if youre not a member there.

Lowrange (Andy) came with his family last year, and I think he enjoyed himself... would be awesome to get some more NAXJA folks involved.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/117353-Country-Fried-Weekend-2014

It was 52 degrees this morning, the leaves are turning, and I can already smell the turkey frying!

It's that time of year again, magic time ---- no, not Thanksgiving, not Christmas ----- It's the SouthEast Expedition Society's Country Fried Weekend time.

Due to the fantastic time we had last year, it will be held again at Wildcat Campground in Suches, GA; the long weekend is January 17-19, 2014. It's a great campground that offers a little of everything ---- shaded tree-filled spots on a hill, two secluded tent-only locations, gimungo RV pads with full power, wifi, big/clean bath-house, covered pavilion with lots of tables & chairs, a huge grill, huge firepit with seating, a small lake, a 4x4 trail, access to backcountry dirt roads, a "bunk-house" cabin (available to rent).

Here's a MAP, to it.

CFW is a potluck and dinner on Saturday & is traditionally an all-afternoon/all-evening affair. The highlight is the fried turkey but anything goes.
Who's doing the turkey(s) this year, btw?

CFW is a mellow event, family-friendly, moderate alcohol consumption, and no electronic music (if you play or sing, please feel free).
The fire will be epic again.

Slideshows of our previous CFWs

http://youtu.be/jps7tV0yMgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S16vxbpEEqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQ9IoNxXAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gKrjVGM-pI

It doesn't cost anything to attend; the event itself is free.
The campground is private however and that isn't free ----- Wildcat will be ours for the weekend, closed to the non-SEES community.
It got a bit confusing last year so, with the help of Donald Oaks, the proprietor, we simplified the camping fees. $20/night for a regular campsite and $30/night for one with power; $5/truck for day-trippers (potty fee). We thought this would work pretty well --- if the fee sounds high for a solo adventurer, hook up with somebody and share a tent. Try to keep it in reason though. Like two tents or two vehicles per site.

Definitely insulating the camper better this year... lol

I have lots of work to do to it between now and then.

Guys, this thing is a lot of fun. The food is AWESOME! I'll say that this meal last year put last years Thanksgiving meal to SHAME. You guys certainly need to attend.

I believe I could convince a couple guys that live close to make this trip.

Last edited:
My other reason that I must attend is to get a new SEES sticker. It went to Doug on the red Jeep and now it's shredded to little pieces in the trash somewhere. lol

Driving time I will be closer come January. Budget wise probably not. I'm penciling it in but I'll have to see how school goes.

Some pictures from CFW 2013.

DSC_5643.jpg

DSC_5570.jpg

DSC_5564.jpg

Stump, I take it the TB won't make it this year? lol
DSC_5557.jpg

DSC_5534.jpg

DSC_5530.jpg

DSC_5512.jpg

DSC_5508.jpg

I see a stock Subaru.... I'm assuming a stock jeep will do just fine.

Besides it's already been there once before :D

We are tentative as of now

Wish I could come but looks like we're going snow skiing that weekend.

Last edited:
I see a stock Subaru.... I'm assuming a stock jeep will do just fine.

Besides it's already been there once before :D

We are tentative as of now

I'm thinking this year they may do some different trails but if they do the same ride they did last year a stocker will have absolutely no trouble. I wont on a different ride that night with a much smaller crowd on a much more difficult trail and didn't have an issue. It was pretty sketchy at times on the side of the mountain but not difficult.

Stock Subaru and then the TB lol. The two ends of the spectrum.

That little Subaru didn't skip a beat. They were camped beside me. Kinda makes me want an AWD Subaru for a DD.

Put me down as a maybe! After the Moab drive that's nothing! I need to break in the m416 anyways.

Last edited:
Ain't nothing stock about that Subaru. Its got an aluminum skid plate from the front to the rear, and he beats it like a stepchild. I built a pretty sweet front bumper for it a while back. Its got a few mores inches of lift now, and the biggest all terrains he could shove under it. But yeah. A stock XJ would do just fine...lol

Ain't nothing stock about that Subaru. Its got an aluminum skid plate from the front to the rear, and he beats it like a stepchild. I built a pretty sweet front bumper for it a while back. Its got a few mores inches of lift now, and the biggest all terrains he could shove under it. But yeah. A stock XJ would do just fine...lol

sounds like my kind of people.....

Back