• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cant Find Thread...ABS Removal 2000 xj

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
Swapping in an 8.25, want to remove the ABS on my jeep, but cant find the write up, know its out there....have been searching for days now! Can anyone point me to it?
Thanks
Also the disk brake upgrade for the 8.25 while we are at it???? ha

Wow, my head is spinning!
So, i need the 3 parts...replace them, ditch the abs relay and fuse and im ready to go?
Then if i want to add disc brakes from a grand to the 8.25 then i swap the proportioning valve too....am i on track here?

You really can just pull the relay under the hood. I wanted it all gone for the room and simplicity. I'm not sure what I gained, but I did it anyway. If you want to remove your pump and everything, it's easy.

Just understand though, that even though stuff looks similar, it might not be. I'm not a mechanic so I can't say exactly. I just ran into different fittings on my stuff.

Just go to the dealer and order the driver hard line, and the pass one. Order from the same year and non ABS, then just screw them on to your stuff. If you do disks in the future, just modify your prop valve. I went ahead and replaced mine with a 98 grand.

To do alll this just plan on cutting off your fittings and reflare the new tubes with the old fittings. You will need a good double flare tool. Not some cheapo one. The one I bought wouldn't do it. I borrowed my friends snap-on to get it done.

It isn't hard, just be prepared is all I'm saying. If I did it over myself I could do it in a 1/3 of the time and none of the agrivation I went through the first go around. Planning ahead and having the parts saves a lot of both.

So no adverse effects of just pulling the relay? I heard it could cause the brake system to stop working possibly.....is this just internet junk???

StylerG said:
So no adverse effects of just pulling the relay? I heard it could cause the brake system to stop working possibly.....is this just internet junk???

Ya. All modern ABS systems are fail safe. When they fail, they fail off. You won't have ABS, but you still have perfectly good brakes. Just cut your lines in the rear to swap axles, and pull the ABS relay under the hood. (not the fuse in the inside fuse panel) By just cutting the sensor lines, it should cause a fault in the ABS and it would fail off anyway. If you pulled the fuse you would get the ABS trouble light on the dash. Pulling the relay takes power and no more ABS trouble light.

StylerG said:

I believe that was the early ABS (Renix era) that would cause the brakes to not work. I removed my ABS pump, relay and fuses, used a tee and cut and flaired the front lines together, then ran a new short line over to the prop valve. The rear I just loosened the fitting by the frame rail, the cut and flaired the line to fit the prop valve. I also removed all the sensors.

If you disable the ABS and if you need to bleed the system AFTER you ran it dry, you are screwed as you have to have a computer plugged in to cycle the ABS pump/valves to remove the air. It is stated in the FSM. That is why I removed it completely.

Good luck.

xj_mike said:
If you disable the ABS and if you need to bleed the system AFTER you ran it dry, you are screwed as you have to have a computer plugged in to cycle the ABS pump/valves to remove the air. It is stated in the FSM. That is why I removed it completely.

Good luck.

That's a good point. I never even thought of it. I just figured if it wasn't operational I wanted it gone. Never thought about bleeding.

Is this just bleeding the brake system....or do you bleed an ABS system?
If i just take the relay out, drop in the new rear axle and along the way cut the rear lines am i going to have any major problems? I dont want ABS but i dont want something terribly wrong to happen when my wife is driving it (or me for that matter) and i still want to be able to bleed brakes and all that jazz!
Appreciate the help a lot

Just found something i didnt expect!
The relay on my ABS in the fuse panel under the hood has 3 things for ABS. The "relay" just says ABS Light, then its got a 20 Amp fuse for the ABS SOL, and a 40 amp fuse for the ABS Motor. Which ones do i pull here???

i just swapped a dana 44 in my 2000 xj, i pulled all three abs fuses, cut the two wires going to each drum, bled the brakes as a regular non-abs type, ie one guy pumping the brakes while i bled each cylinder. it was really easy, good luck.

Back