• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buying a jeep

I bought my '01 with about 127,000 on it in May of 2009 for $4550. It is the Anniversary Edition and 4x4. They were asking $4950 for it and I got them down so that my final price (after tax, tags, and title) was at $4900.

Maybe that will give you a frame of reference.

EDIT...it will have the 0331 head on it. Check it for a crack. They are notorious...usually between cylinder 3 & 4. I didn't check mine when I got it, but have reason to believe that it has since cracked.

Last edited:
Overpriced.

Its a 2wd. Has damage to the rear bumper, marks on the front left bumperette.

Here in CO, you can't sell a 2wd for over $3k, regardless of mileage.

I just picked up a 98 4wd with the same mileage and $500 worth of repairs due for $1,500.

That's - at most, and I'm stretching on this - a $3000 XJ in this neck of the woods. Given the age and mileage, if it were 4WD it could go for up to $5-6K at this time of year depending on how savvy the buyer was to the market - but it's 2WD, so pretty much unsaleable until March/April.

Where this one could make sense (other than the fact that it's Patriot Blue, the most awesome colour ever applied to an XJ) would be if you'd just rolled your late-model 4WD XJ and were looking for a solid late-model body to swap your mods over to. But without an insurance cheque in hand to cover the purchase and at least a two grand drop in asking price, it's too costly for even that.

Pass and keep looking - they're out there, you just have to be patient. It took me nearly two months to find the XJ I have now after the last one was totalled.

thanks b.raider.
yea like i said i've got 2 this one is for a chick that needs a reliable vehicle and she is sick of her civic.
thanks everyone for the input.

thanks for the link but this is a scam.
the pics have snow in them which we don't have in N.O.
and she has it in Miami in a shipping container ready to ship as soon as i pay.
hahaha

I don't get it. Sounds legit to me; I've bought dozens of cars that way :D

One piece of advice: be prepared to travel to get the XJ you want. Something that may help in the search: crazedlist. Makes it dead simple to search multiple craigslist locales.

Late edit: http://neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/2139240852.html - can't tell if it's 2WD or 4WD, but it's a 2-door '99.

Last edited:
I think that's a 2wd....looks like it's got the "Wallet" holder that mine does where the transfer case lever should be, and no 4x4 badging on the rear. I do love the late model 2 doors though (rare) so I don't think that one is a rip off at $3500.

You don't think it's a 2 door do you? lol @ wallet holder. Seems like not having the transfer case shifter there feel like a part of me died. No "I win stick" :(

I agree with everybody else, wayyy high. Although that is a kick !@% color! I'd pay 3.5k all day IF it was 4x4. Took me 3 months of searching to find mine. Got mine in Nov. 2010 it's a 1998 d30/8.25 with 177k MI and no engine issues, still, for 2k. Seems to me like larger dealerships like to really jack the price up. Bought mine from some guy who owned a really small car lot. GL with the search!!

Last edited:
Back