• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brand new Raptor lined rock sliders

mikefrost

NAXJA Forum User
Just built a set of high clearence sliders for sale. They are made from 3/16th c-channel which is WAY beefier than 3/16 wall 2x4 or 6 Asking $250 obo, they've been freshly coated with 5 coats of black Raptor liner. Weld or bolt on.

Pictures and details can be found here
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/my-first-crack-sliders-146230/

Sliders are located in Bowie, MD 20720 local cash deals only I'd be will to drive as far north as Hunt Valley (about 30-40 min from PA border on 83) and as far south as Alexandria VA for to meet someone coming from out of state.

Pictures
IMG_1449.jpg

FE00C9EB-C6E9-4EDA-AD7B-AEB38294DE53-7197-00000592D40A8804.jpg

6A0818F6-B6E2-448F-945F-B00E684DE7B0-7197-00000592E0788E71.jpg

2CC9CE28-DA5F-487A-BF4F-1607AF91AF9F-7197-00000592E9ADC74C.jpg

I may be way off base here as it's been a long time since I've taken any mechanics of materials and structural engineering courses, however, "WAY beefier" doesn't always translate to increased strength where needed for rocker protection. Rectangular 2x4x3/16 has a larger second moment of area than 3/16 C-channel, which lead to less stress and less deflection (beam bending). I would assume this is generally why people stick with rectangular box vs C-channel for rocker protection.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Hey, I had it laying around. Wanted to make use of it. I don't see these things bending easy considering the added bulk on the sides of the channel which will see most of the stress in this type of application.

I do see a rock getting hung up in the channel and limiting your ability to get back off of it.
You also have no pinch seam mount.

GLWS

Flat side sits down I've been trying to figure a way to tie them in to the pinch seams. The innermost edge actually backs right to the pinch seam and I could probably weld it in a few spots. I'll mock them up under my jeep either later today or tomorrow and put pictures up

ive made my own sliders, I did alot of searching on here before I cut any material. the channel is fine but I would have boxed in the top to stiffen things up / prevent it from filling up with water, dirt & rocks. Looks like you do have a set youve made from 2x4 tube in the last pic.

Ya gotta expect some critiqueing if youre selling a design you and only you made from stuff laying around. I think this better suited for a local craigs list. Not an avid XJ wheeler. This is the same design I used. Pinch seam shown here. Stiffens em up alot.

IMG_0121.jpg

Hey man, I meant no disrespect. They appear to be quality made from the looks of them. I was mearly commenting on why people choose a different material for the application. GLWS

That comment wasn't directed at you, that was for another red letter member that was just being as asshole, I don't have patience for assholes

ive made my own sliders, I did alot of searching on here before I cut any material. the channel is fine but I would have boxed in the top to stiffen things up / prevent it from filling up with water, dirt & rocks. Looks like you do have a set youve made from 2x4 tube in the last pic.

Ya gotta expect some critiqueing if youre selling a design you and only you made from stuff laying around. I think this better suited for a local craigs list. Not an avid XJ wheeler. This is the same design I used. Pinch seam shown here. Stiffens em up alot.

I have no problems with a little constructive criticizism, I just don't like assholes lol. Channel may not have been the ideal material but I have no doubt they'll hold up to quite the beating. I was considering adding some gussets and drain holes for strength and water/mud drainage, still might if they don't sell soon. I need to look today and see how I can tie the pinch seams in to them.

Back