• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bodywork/mod help in Madison WI

Atl-Atl

NAXJA Forum User
In case there are people on here that don't frequent the Wisconsin site I peruse I will post a similar message here. I would like to do some work on my Jeep, starting with some body work. Fender trimming/rear cut and fold/rocker replacement with box steel(similar to the GenRight kit and countless other versions done on here) I want to start with the rocker replacement but don't have a garage at the moment or a welder, or the ability to weld, hence I need help! There is some rust on the drivers side rocker and floorboards but it isn't too bad. I'd like to fix/mod these areas so I can start down the road to making the Jeep more off-road worthy. Currently RE3.5" with full leafs and 31s. Id like to fit at least 33s with bump-stopping and body trimming. Anybody want to help with a project like this? I'm in Madison WI but am in the position to have a DD so I could in the near future leave the Jeep somewhere. I'd rather not pay body shop prices but I am willing to pay cash, beer or bikes/bike parts(if you're a cyclist ask) if someone is willing to help or teach me while I work and you drink free beer.

Edit - I'd like to come to winterfest so the more I can get done in time the better!

Pics are for views.
IMG_1037.jpg

Aaand I just signed up for WF, time to get started!

Mike you picked a fine season to want to start a major project without a garage to work in :D

What's wrong with wheeling it at WF the way it is, and renting a garage when you are ready to do the serious mods? The trimming isn't such a big deal (as long as you don't put TJ flares on it) :D But the rocker and floor issues can take some serious time if you want to do them right.

Think ahead on the trimming. You should do something which allows you to use your front inner fenders. Also in the back, retaining your pinch seam.

Yeah I know! I have an underground heated parking garage but i'm not "supposed" to work on the Jeep in it and the lighting is terrible.

I am fine running it with a few slight changes from its current state, but Id love to get as many done as possible. The floor patching and rocker replacement can certainly wait. Why not have a sense of urgency though right!?!

As for the trimming I made that pinch seam mistake on the rear of my 01 so I know not to do that again. I dont plan on running any flares in the future so I am fine with trimming high on the front fenders, plus one is already dented/rusty so I dont care much about it. In the rear I also dont care about keeping fenders on it so probably up to the small flared out lip just before the pinch seam. I plan to cut and fold in the rear as well. Ideally Id be able to fit 33s well and get a locker or two in so I can run some of the harder trails at the badlands since I've already done the easier ones.

If you want to drive the jeep to me I will cut the fenders for ya. I just did my 98 a couple weeks ago and I was done with the front and rear in just over an hour.
Or, get an angle grinder with some metal cutoff wheels. Take the front flares off and you should have a decent dirt line for you to follow with a marker or just cut along the dirt line left from the flare. The rear is pretty simple also. I took the flares off, made a bunch of cuts about an inch or so and used a rubber hammer to fold it all over. Looks good, no sharp edges hanging out, and I didn't have to worry about the pinch seam.

I will try and get some pictures up for ya.

I didn't want to post anything questionable on here, not that I think it is, just sayin. wi4x4.com.

Parking garages ;)

Trimming sounds like a doable item. If you have stock wheels, you should be able to legally do no flares. I bring up the inner fender issue because if you trim without putting flares back on you loose your inner fenders. I've been down that path, and for a trail only rig, it's no big deal. But on a DD, the sand/mud/ whatever packs in the door hinge area. If that is no concern, no flares shouldn't be an issue :)

With the 33's are you planning to re-gear, or stay with the stock ratio?

p.s. I figured you were talking about WI4x4, WOHVA or W4WDA, but since W4WDA's Forum is off-line "Due to lack of use", and WOHVA didn't seem to be your cup of meat, I found the thread on WI4X4 :D

Last edited:
I know, come May-ish I'll be moving into a place that has a "normal" garage. At least that is the goal.

I do not have stock wheels they are soft 8s that are 4.5" bs. I'm not super concerned because once I finish most of these mods ill be shopping for a daily driver truck that will double as the tow rig. Most likely an 06-early 07 CTD.

As for the trimming and losing the inner fenders, that shouldn't be an issue. One because of the new daily driver situation and two I have seen a few creative ways to fill that fender space; expanding foam, round pool floatie noodle things etc.

Ideally I will regear and lock at the same time, not sure if that will happen before WF. 4.56s with alloy shafts/RCVs and Detroits front and rear are the goal.

Cool, real garage :)

Let me know when you want to trim and we can sit down some Sat or Sunday and trim the Front, then the Rears.

Same can be said about rocker replacements, though I'd prefer it be a bit warmer ;)

BTW: Don't paint the roof with bed liner. It may look cool, but from a body work side, it is a PITA to remove to repair the rust that forms by trapping moisture in the most unlikely places.

The roof is at the end of a pretty long list so it will likely wait a while. At a minimum the rockers will probably get done by the guy I've been talking with on WI4x4, I hope to have him do some other things as well. He is a professional auto restorer/resto-mod guy and can do the high quality job I am looking for. I'd love to take you up on the fender trimming, I have a good idea of exactly what I'd like to do there. (See pic) I want to trim basically the same as the green XJ below. Leave the lip in the rear and trim the outline of the flare in front. I'm not scared to go high in the front as they are replace-able. Not shown in the pic is the rear cut and fold which I want to do so I can fit the JCR rear bumper I'm looking to get.

If there's time I also have a number of other things to install that are on the short list to fit the 33s; .75" coil spacers, extended front brake lines and new bumpstops front and rear. New center pins in the leafs, raising the rear shock mounts and shaving the 8.25 are also on the short list and I broke two swaybar frame bolts so I have been without a swaybar for a while now and Id like to fix that if possible! Help and or space is greatly appreciated.

GCXJ3.jpg

The roof is at the end of a pretty long list so it will likely wait a while. At a minimum the rockers will probably get done by the guy I've been talking with on WI4x4, I hope to have him do some other things as well. He is a professional auto restorer/resto-mod guy and can do the high quality job I am looking for. I'd love to take you up on the fender trimming, I have a good idea of exactly what I'd like to do there. (See pic) I want to trim basically the same as the green XJ below. Leave the lip in the rear and trim the outline of the flare in front. I'm not scared to go high in the front as they are replace-able. Not shown in the pic is the rear cut and fold which I want to do so I can fit the JCR rear bumper I'm looking to get.

If there's time I also have a number of other things to install that are on the short list to fit the 33s; .75" coil spacers, extended front brake lines and new bumpstops front and rear. New center pins in the leafs, raising the rear shock mounts and shaving the 8.25 are also on the short list and I broke two swaybar frame bolts so I have been without a swaybar for a while now and Id like to fix that if possible! Help and or space is greatly appreciated.

GCXJ3.jpg

Sorry, I haven't been following the conversation close enough.

No worries. I don't have the space to give for a protracted professional level project, just a day or a weekend sort of thing, but if that fits into your scheme, let me know.

I wouldn't consider the rockers a "pro" job. More of a "out of my league" job. But I would like them to turn out killer. That being said, I'm not afraid to just start cutting and figure out how to put it back together! The opportunity presented itself so I thought I'd take advantage. As far as the rest of the stuff, I don't foresee any of it being more than a couple hours to a day long job. I will certainly take you up on the offer for help. Unfortunately I am out of town next weekend so that only leaves a couple weekends before Winterfest! I just picked up some 33s last night so I need to get to work. Ill get in touch with you and hopefully we can work something out.

Ron would you be available either on Feb 5 or Feb 11/12?

Back