• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body Sheet metal Thickness

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Is it just my imagination or is the sheet metal used on the RENIX era Jeeps thicker than the later ones, particularly the 97+ Jeeps?

I can feel a difference in the body of my MJ and the old RENIX 4 door I had years ago seemed like the sheet metal was thicker - had a different ring to it when you rapped your knuckles against it.

What say you? Am I imagining things?

I've noticed that the sheet metal on my 96' XJ is thinner than my dad's 00' XJ. When you knock on the sheet metal of the body, it feels and sounds thinner. The roof also wiggles more when you close the door compared to my dad's 00 XJ.

streetxj, i think they added some sound deadening insulation in the NBS jeeps, which may account for the difference in feel/sound. i could be wrong, but i highly doubt anything has changed in the sheetmetal department.

I forgot to mention that I remember reading somewhere that they used thicker sheet metal for the 97-01 XJ's. For example, my dad's 00' XJ roof does not have any sound deadening like my 96' and when you knock on the roof, mine vibrates and flexes more compared to my dad's.

Last edited:
Back