• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap question

JEEPVIENS

NAXJA Forum User
sign0085.gif

Hi all i have a quick question and any info would be great.

I have a 01 xj sport and i also have a 91 ford f-150 how hard would it be to take the axles off the f-150 and put it under the xj the rear is an 8.8 and i think the front is the same (not sure). what is the mods if any involved and is it worth doing oh and the ford also has 33" BFG that i want on the jeep.
Thanks for the time and the input.

frt is twin traction beam, have fun with that swap, rear is a full with 8.8

Its not worth it the front is a twin gay beam dana 47 or 53 or some bs, and the rear is a fullwidth 8.8 which really aint no better than a explorer 8.8 . get some thing a little older thats atleast got solid axle dana 44's front and rear.

not 100% but i think they years for the twin I beam type axle were something like 84 or 86 up to 96 then it went to an actual ifs for the f150. don't qoute me on that though.

and i have no idea on the strength of those twin beam type axles.

F 150 had ttb from 80-96. It's all dana 44 stuff. It works really well for desert racing but not in the rocks. It's also going to stick out the sides like crazy. You are going to play hell getting the spring rates right because you will have to move thre springs toward the middle of the beem because of the width wich will change the amount of leverage on the mounts. It's not worth it.

76 f150 front axle with an early bronco shaft on the right side and a waggy on the left. That's the easiest and best way to go.

You would be better off with an explorer rear as well as you can get disk brakes, 31 spline shafts instead of 28 and an lsd witch is really easy to tighten up to pretty much a locker.

Back