• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shifting issue, Stage 2 PIMA

Teaghs

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, brand new to the forum, hoping someone has more lumps in their brain than I do over this.

I have a 1999 Cherokee sport, 4.0, AW4 trans, 4wd 8.25 rear, D30 front. Hopefully that's specific enough. This little pain has decided, after sitting for 2 weeks while I was away, to simply disregard second gear altogether and go full-send from first to third, and just kinda live there, giving 4/OD and the thought of locking up the converter a big ol' middle finger.
Code puller tells me it's P0753, no other codes. I decided to give it both barrels right back, and popped the tranny pan off, replaced all the solenoids, checked all the internal wiring I could see, and did a trans fluid/filter swap while I was in there. I figured that would fix the problem, but here comes that check engine light right back, bathing me in its baleful yellow glare. I reset the electronics via disconnecting the battery and touching the cables together to quick-drain everything. It goes off, and then pulls a bad penny and comes right back again. I make sure the fluid is up to level and Dex/Merc 3, and it is. Kill the code again, it comes back again. I check the fuses for the TCM, and none are blown. In fact, the only thing blown is my patience. The only thing I haven't checked is the TPS, and only because it's showing exactly zero signs of having dead spots or undervolting, but by god, I'll check it tomorrow.

Can anyone possibly show me a light at the end of this increasingly grimy tunnel? I'd like to have second gear back...

You also may need to see if the TCM is operating/communicating properly.

Back