• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 1st/2nd gear lock out in 97+

rogerramjet

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I realize I'm relatively new to the forum, but I'd like to think I'm not a noob. Time will tell. I have done a lot of searching regarding the mod to manually control the AW4 to lock in 2nd gear. I know that in the 96.5 + model year the OBDII will send a CEL, which will eventually go off if not tripped again in 100mi or 50 on-offs, or after disconnecting the battery. My thought is to use an on-off-on switch to do the following:

on- normal operation- the connected circuit acts "uncut"
off- force the solenoid #1 off to lock 1st gear
on- powered to force the solenoid #1 on to lock 2nd gear.

Seems a reasonable mod esp if used only when off-road. The CEL can be reset before turning on to the highway. This could work with or without the torque converter mod.
Problem: Which wire coming from the TCM (which I understand to be bolted to the side of the driver's footwell) controls the solenoid #1? While I'm at it, which controls #2 and 3 just in case I decide to go crazy?

Back