• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto insurance rant (enter at your own risk)

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
Grrrr. This is not a big deal but the audacity is so irritating.
I called my insurance company today to cancel insurance on a vehicle that I sold 3 days ago and they refused to cancel it because I havent turned my license plate into the state yet. Basically saying I dont have the right to cancel it. The insurance company said its illegal for them to cancel it until the plates are turned in. I sold the vehicle 3 days ago and I havent had a day off work yet to go to the DMV. I told them I was planning on turning it in Friday (in 2 days), that wasnt good enough, they wouldnt cancel it. In the mean time, the guy who bought it is driving it, has got it titled to him, registered to him, insured by him and its parked in his driveway, yet according to my insurance company, Im required to carry insurance on "his" vehicle until Friday. My insurance company is basically insuring a vehicle on my policy that I dont own and dont have in my possession. How stupid is that.
I got into a rather heated discussion with my agent today after she told me that she would not cancel this vehicle off my policy. I basically called her a lier and reminded her that she works for me and represents me but it didnt do much good over the phone.
Ive been doing some research and all state law requires is that the insurance company notify the state when coverage is dropped and that I must subsequently fill out a form explaining that I will return the plates and will not drive the vehicle while its not insured.
I know this shouldnt bother me but its been a stressful week and the audacity has put me over the edge. Now that Ive had time to research and Im very sure Im right, Im going to make sure my insurance agent will have a very bad day tomorrow. I bet I can make her cry.

Tell them they can insure it all they want, but you aren't going to pay for the favor. If they try to bill you your bill of sale should prove that you haven't owned it. Then the "recorded for quality assurance" call you placed to cancel and when they refused should be the icing on the cake. :dunno:

I agree its total BS, however Im sure its in the paper work you signed and agreed to. Yelling or just arguing on the phone with someone isnt going to change their policy and the fact you agreed to it. Talking to your agents boss might get you a future discount if you threaten to leave, all that goes out the window if you lost your cool on the phone though ;)

Did you check with the DMV to see if you can mail the plate in? Find out what the DMV policy is if the plate is "lost" after you sold the car. Not paying the bill will only cause you more grief than its worth, get the plate to the DMV as fast as you can.

cut the plate into 50 pieces, take a pic of it, then send them that....

I agree its total BS, however Im sure its in the paper work you signed and agreed to. Yelling or just arguing on the phone with someone isnt going to change their policy and the fact you agreed to it. Talking to your agents boss might get you a future discount if you threaten to leave, all that goes out the window if you lost your cool on the phone though ;)

Did you check with the DMV to see if you can mail the plate in? Find out what the DMV policy is if the plate is "lost" after you sold the car. Not paying the bill will only cause you more grief than its worth, get the plate to the DMV as fast as you can.

I can mail it in with the proper form but I will be at the DMV Friday anyway so I'll just drop it off.
I read back through my insurance papers and found nothing. I've had problems with these people before concerning my home owners insurance. In short we moved from one house into another and took a couple weeks to clean and paint the old house before new owners moved in. When I told them we were moving into the new house they were going to drop my policy on the old one because it was now "abandoned" and they wont insure "abandoned" property. We already had a buyer for it and I told them it would only be for a month or so. We had it out over that and the end result was that they insured it as long as we needed them to. It pisses me off that Ive been with this company for around 14 years with no auto claims and just two home owners claims (1 for lightening strike and 1 for fallen tree damage).

I can mail it in with the proper form but I will be at the DMV Friday anyway so I'll just drop it off.
I read back through my insurance papers and found nothing. I've had problems with these people before concerning my home owners insurance. In short we moved from one house into another and took a couple weeks to clean and paint the old house before new owners moved in. When I told them we were moving into the new house they were going to drop my policy on the old one because it was now "abandoned" and they wont insure "abandoned" property. We already had a buyer for it and I told them it would only be for a month or so. We had it out over that and the end result was that they insured it as long as we needed them to. It pisses me off that Ive been with this company for around 14 years with no auto claims and just two home owners claims (1 for lightening strike and 1 for fallen tree damage).

Im not taking the insurance side or anything but just because its not in your copy of papers doesnt mean its not in the agreed policy. I knew someone recently with a similar problem and the insurance co. told them to come to the office to see the Real terms and agreement. It was like a phone book sitting in the insurance co. office and thats what was agreed too lol.

Definitely ask to see in writing what they are talking about. Once its sorted out talk to the higher ups and threaten to take your business else where, do it in person with your agent and her boss. Im sure it will all work out just gonna be a hassle in the mean time.

Who is your carrier? I only ask because I'm curious - I've been with AAA for a few years, and I've not had any trouble like this at all!

Even when I had to get rid of three vehicles recently (damned City and their ersatz, asinine "Municipal Codes"...) I didn't have any trouble - I simply set it all up, called AAA to let them know something was happening, and would they terminate coverage effective that date? They said, "Sure - just call us to confirm when it's all done." Didn't need to turn in plates - Hell, I didn't even need to send them a Bill of Sale!

I turned out to be running around the after-noon they had been picked up, stopped in, and saw on the screen when they brought it up that the vehicles weren't on my policy anymore already - problem solved.

It just strikes me that these people can make things as difficult or as easy as they feel a need to - and it seems to me that they're trying to make things difficult so they can collect just a bit more money from you (frankly, I tend to think auto coverage is a scam - it just won't get broken up because it's required by the various States. There are ways around it in some states - but it's difficult...) My "ideal model" hasn't happened anywhere, but there are an awful lot of outfits making things intentionally difficult just to screw you just a bit harder...

Insurance- the only companies that the government forces you to do business with. Pretty sweet gig they have going- yes, I hate them too. Not so much for what they are, but for how hard they work to avoid doing what you pay them to.

Nationwide is my carrier.

Its not going to be a big deal. Im turning my plate in Friday, its not like a couple days coverage on a 95 Wrangler is going to kill me. Its just the idea of how stupid it all is and the fact that they acted like they call the shots and make decisions with my money. I mean when I call up and tell them I want to cancel coverage, who the hell are they to say no.

Right now Ive got a vehicle on my policy that belongs to someone else. You would think that any agent with sense would WANT to cancel it. Its just retarded.

Last edited:
Never heard of a state requiring you to return the plate after you sell the car. I know Ohio and Wash don't, the only places I've registered.

I figure I've paid ~$90 a year for six years, $550 for a 6x12 scrap of pot metal.

I'd say the damn thing belongs to me!

Robert

We are screwed now by the state as well here, if you drop your insurance on a vehicle for any reason, for any length of time they pull your registration. Gotta pay to get it back, or completely re-register. Bastards.

Never heard of a state requiring you to return the plate after you sell the car. I know Ohio and Wash don't, the only places I've registered.

I figure I've paid ~$90 a year for six years, $550 for a 6x12 scrap of pot metal.

I'd say the damn thing belongs to me!

Robert

Same in Indiana:D

We are screwed now by the state as well here, if you drop your insurance on a vehicle for any reason, for any length of time they pull your registration. Gotta pay to get it back, or completely re-register. Bastards.

Thats not exactly a bad thing. A lot of younger people will sign up for insurance and then as soon as they get their insurance card they cancell the policy but still carry the card, looking like they have a insured vehicle. then they get into an accident and my bad your insurance is paying for the damage not me.
If the vehicle is broke and sitting for awhile, I think most insurance companies offer different policies for stuff like that, at least USAA does.

Back to the original problem, if they are giving you that much problem about it, drop them with a quickness, tell them that every client that you know that works with is going to drop them as well. May not do much but when that agent starts losing clients someone is going to notice. Oh and call their boss too!

We don't even return the plates here. Whenever I have sold a vehicle, I just call the insurance company and let them know it has been sold, and they take it off effective that day. My question becomes what happens if you move to another state and have to change plates? Does nationwide never let you cancel your insurance?

If anything it should be based on the title of the vehicle, and I could see them asking for proof of sale.

Jim

When I bought my jeep, I just transferred my plates to it and put very minimum coverage on my Subaru since it was sitting in my front yard, just in case.

So, my Subaru sits with no tags and minimum insurance waiting for someone to buy it. i have USAA

Thats not exactly a bad thing. A lot of younger people will sign up for insurance and then as soon as they get their insurance card they cancell the policy but still carry the card, looking like they have a insured vehicle. then they get into an accident and my bad your insurance is paying for the damage not me.
If the vehicle is broke and sitting for awhile, I think most insurance companies offer different policies for stuff like that, at least USAA does.

See the thing is up here your vehicle needs to be insured. Period. Get pulled over with no insurance card, you're getting a ticket.

That's all find and dandy, but say I want to pick up something with some balls and RWD. Great, but come winter it would have to come off the road, and it wouldn't make sense to insure it. But if you don't you will have to pay to re-register it coem spring. And you can't drop your insurance coverage on a vehicle you don't own outright...

Auto insurance with AAA is very good.

Too bad they don't do motorcycles.

I totaled a 98 Chevy and they paid me 2K more than I paid for the thing, and I put 50K miles on it. This is how I got the money for the XJ:)

Insurance companies suck! When I moved to New Mexico From Florida I transferred my my cars, went to the local agent here and transferred my insurance etc. Two years later my wife got in an accident. The insurance company paid everything but then sent my a nasty letter saying they were canceling because not only did I have an accident but that my license in Florida had been suspended.

When I investigated this with FL they suspended my license because the insurance company told them I had dropped my insurance coverage. It took MANY phone calls with the idiots at my insurance company to get them to send my the paperwork that showed that I transferred everything to NM and never let my insurance lapse. When I first called them on this their response was "Florida suspends drivers licenses when your insurance lapses". I then explained again and again that it didn't lapse, I moved! And not only that I moved my coverage through them. After being transferred around for a while I finally got to speak with someone with a brain.

The end result is...I changed insurance companies.

See the thing is up here your vehicle needs to be insured. Period. Get pulled over with no insurance card, you're getting a ticket.

That's all find and dandy, but say I want to pick up something with some balls and RWD. Great, but come winter it would have to come off the road, and it wouldn't make sense to insure it. But if you don't you will have to pay to re-register it coem spring. And you can't drop your insurance coverage on a vehicle you don't own outright...

Thats how it is in TX too, but the cops didn't use to run the insurance number, I guess they weren't allowed to or something, but the law changed and now they can run the number to make sure the policy is valid. But most of the time cops don't run the insurance number, they check your card make sure its not expiered and hand it back to you.

For seasonal vehicels can't you drop the insurance amount on the vehicle your not driving the very bare minimum and just not drive it? I talking lower than liability something that costs like $10 a month.

Up here, if there is a loan for the vehicle, full coverage. Period.

Maybe it could be registered as something different, like an antique or something. :dunno:

Back