• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARRGGHH....t-case leaks!

xjcrawlr

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I just had an SYE installed in my 231j t-case last night and now its leaking bad from the bolt or the center of the front output yoke. A new seal (later style with twin rings) was installed on the front output to fix prevoius minor leak while case was apart. Whats the torque of the bolt holding the front yoke? Is there another seal behind the yoke?

jpnjason said:
OK, I just had an SYE installed in my 231j t-case last night and now its leaking bad from the bolt or the center of the front output yoke. A new seal (later style with twin rings) was installed on the front output to fix prevoius minor leak while case was apart. Whats the torque of the bolt holding the front yoke? Is there another seal behind the yoke?
I'm assuming you put the rubber washer back on under the yoke...It goes on the shaft before the yoke slides on.
I also make a habit of coating the splines on the yoke with sealer. If it's leaking from the seal, did you smooth out and grease the sides of the yoke where the seal rides before installing it?

I didn't install the seal nor the SYE, a friend at local shop did it for me. Its not leaking from the outside of yoke, only from the inside. I'll take the yoke off and look for a rubber washer. Is it flat and round or like an o-ring? Would coating the splines with RTV do the trick?

jpnjason said:
I didn't install the seal nor the SYE, a friend at local shop did it for me. Its not leaking from the outside of yoke, only from the inside. I'll take the yoke off and look for a rubber washer. Is it flat and round or like an o-ring? Would coating the splines with RTV do the trick?
The washer is smooth on the inside, and "splined" on the outside to match the shaft. That sounds like what happened. Coating the splines MAY help, but I believe it's gonna leak without that washer.
Nope, not going to the AZXJ run, since I don't have an XJ anymore... :gag: :laugh3:

jpnjason said:
Thanks, i'll hit carquest and try to find one.
It should've come in the SYE kit, if you bought it new.
Tell the parts guy that it goes under the yoke and on the end of the mainshaft.

It did come with one for the new rear fixed yoke, mines leaking from the front drive shaft yoke. Does this one have that seal as well?

Back