• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are 2WD Front beams worth anything?

rang-a-stang

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished my 4WD conversion and have the front 2WD Beam, control arms, and spindles sitting in my garage. Are they worth anything or should I just scrap them?
(super straight, rust free, solid original ball joints, California XJ) Pics here but not sure if they are working
0GPj

F69H

BgQj

hVgf

The older AMC have a different spindle, I think. 84-89. ??? Some look for those spindles. The brake set up is different. Also, some want them for a few more MPGs.

Your timing is good. It has been on Craigslist for a month and not a single nibble. This weekend I plan to pull the knuckles off to keep, pull all the nuts/bolts off for my magic bolt box, and put a free ad up on Craigslist for the rest of it. If you want it for shipping cost I can ship it to you but that’s probably $200…

By the way, what all was involved in your 4wd conversion? What year parts into what year XJ? I have a 2wd 95 and a 4wd 86 but I'm not sure all of the 86 parts will swap in easily (transfer case, spline count differences, possible pcm and TCM issues etc.).
It wasn't hard but it was a little more exspensive than I expected. My XJ is a 2000. Some notes:

1) I did it in 2 parts.
1.1) First I rebuilt my transmission and added a shift kit. This was kind of the biggest reason I did this conversion. My trans was already starting to slip and needed love so I figured while I had it out and apart I would swap the output shaft and add a transfer case. I ordered my NP242, trans adapter, and output shaft from DeadJeeps on ebay, rear driveshaft was from Craigslist, Shifter was ebay, and a few other small odds and ends from a local pick your part. The trans rebuild, transfer case, driveshaft, etc, was about $1200. EVERYTHING bolted in. There was no drilling, cutting, or welding. This stage took me about 2 weeks becuase it was my first AW4 rebuild and I had some difficulty with it and needed to order a couple extra parts.
1.2) Phase 2 was the front axle and driveshaft. I bought a used HP D30 from a 97 XJ from a wrecker for $250 (disc to disc) and front shaft for $50. I did not rebuild the center section but did replace the axle seals and ball joints while it was out. I also replaced all my control arms and track arm. New U-joints on the front shaft but I did not replace the cardan while it was out. I re-used the same unit bearings and brakes from my 2WD beam. Again, no cutting, no welding, no drilling. This phase cost me about $700 but $400 of that was ball joints, control arms, seals, and paint. Once I had the front axle cleaned, painted and assembled (knuckle to knuckle), it took me about 6 hours from the time I pulled my Jeep in the garage with a beam until I backed it out with a complete 4WD.

2) If I had a parts car right next to me, had not rebuilt the suspension or trans, and knew the donor was a good runner, I think this could easily be done in a weekend but would schedule a week to be safe.
3) My wiring is not done yet. I have to connect the wires across the connector at the back of the engine bay but other than that, I am done.
4) My jeep is TOTALLY stock. If it was lifted, it would probably have been easier.
5) I reused the shocks, springs, steering, unit bearings, brakes (I did not even open the brake lines when I did this), and rear axle to do this. If you are going to convert, I would try to get a HP, non-disconnect front axle. It still bolts in, simplifies the swap, and is stronger.
6) I am not enough of an XJ 'expert' to know what will and will not work between your 95 and 86. I have read all front axles will swap into all years except you really want that HP, non-disconnect front axle. My transadapter was not a 2000 or later so I had to mod it and I am SURE you would have to adjust a few things like that for yours, too.

Could they be used to make a gasser hot rod like they used to do back in the day.

Back