• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody done a seat lift?

Renegade XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to raise the front seats on my XJ about 1". Anybody done this? Lots of TJ guys do but I don't see any XJ and I hate how my XJ seats feel like they are on the floor... Any suggestions?

New seats?

When I swapped a pair of '99 buckets into my '90, I swear it lifted my butt 2".

Maybe that was partially the difference in the seat mount, but I'm sure most of that gain was because the newer seat cushions still had some cushion to them, unlike my broke down old nasty ones...

If yours are good, you could fab a simple spacer to lift the early style (Up to 94 maybe? It was an odd breakover year.) The newer ones mount differently and would be much harder to lift...

Robert

Mine is an 89 but the seats are in great shape. I haven't take the time to really look at the seat brackets but I just assumed there must be something weird about it since I can find any tech at all about it. Thanks for the input, I'm gonna take a look at it and see what I can come up with.

The seat bolts to four studs sticking up from the floor. 8mm maybe?

Cut those off, drill em out, run longer bolts through a piece of 1x2 box or something, and bolt your seat back down. Use sturdy fender washers under the floor, you don't want em pulling through.

Robert

The foam in the seat will collapse after years of use.
An auto upholstery shop can re-pad them or you can try it yourself.
Here's a link.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSeatRepadding.htm
It's also a good time to give the covers a washing.

A friend has a Country Edition, with power seats. It lifts high enough that my head touches the headliner. Too bad the seats are so rare.

IIRC the split for the brackets is 94 to 95.

I usually have the opposite problem, my head hits the roof on anything that isn't an early XJ or an MJ. The taller profile of the MJ roof helps me out a bit.

Do you have pwr seats or mind putting pwr brackets ? Pwr brackets are taller even at thier lowest setting. Mine are higher now with pwr brackets as are the leather seats . Even have an extra set of pwr seat brackets i'm not using. As far as the cusions you can remove the skins and steam the cusions to thier original shape and feel .

Back