• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another newbie

Welcome!

You are a lucky guy living so close to Harlan.

Welcome!

Welcome!!

LOL! I have never ate there! I figured you would say the chilly was good at Texas Tavern downtown. I love Roanoke, I wouldn't live anywhere else. SWVA is Gods country

Jon

The stops I would make between here and Richmond were usually centered around gas. Roanoke was around the halfway mark and my favorite area to stop in. SHEETZ was great because they were open all night and had almost anything you could think of. If you want something hot to eat, you just pick out what you want on a screen and watch the people make it for you. Their hot sandwiches were at least as good as Quizno's if not better, but that was more than ten years ago.

I used to get off I81 at Roanoke to get on 460 to Appomattox as well. Traveling on I81 from Bristol all the way to Staunton to get on I64 is torture.

The stops I would make between here and Richmond were usually centered around gas. Roanoke was around the halfway mark and my favorite area to stop in. SHEETZ was great because they were open all night and had almost anything you could think of. If you want something hot to eat, you just pick out what you want on a screen and watch the people make it for you. Their hot sandwiches were at least as good as Quizno's if not better, but that was more than ten years ago.

I used to get off I81 at Roanoke to get on 460 to Appomattox as well. Traveling on I81 from Bristol all the way to Staunton to get on I64 is torture.

That's how I go to Richmond, I go 460 to 29 to 64 or I go 460 all the way to Midlo and shoot up to the south end of town. That Sheetz there at Orange Ave/460 has a lot of crime around it at night. I dont go into that part of Roanoke at night unless I have one of my pistols or revolvers on me. I'm from out in the sticks so the city creeps me out a little at night anyway. I would rather be in bear infested woods than on a city street at night

That's how I go to Richmond, I go 460 to 29 to 64 or I go 460 all the way to Midlo and shoot up to the south end of town. That Sheetz there at Orange Ave/460 has a lot of crime around it at night. I dont go into that part of Roanoke at night unless I have one of my pistols or revolvers on me. I'm from out in the sticks so the city creeps me out a little at night anyway. I would rather be in bear infested woods than on a city street at night

Driving down Main St. in downtown Richmond (where all the clubs are) in a state van, wearing a state corrections officer uniform at midnight on a Friday night is one of the scariest situations I've ever been in. I used to do it frequently and you get a lot of nasty looks. I used to transport convicts to and from MCV hospital and to other medical buildings or other prisons when I worked at Powhatan Correctional Center. It only took three years for me to figure out I wasn't cut out for that kind of work. No more law enforcement type jobs for me, thanks.

I also stopped right outside of Charlottesville once because my gas light was on. My uniforms were hanging up in my back window. I had the door to the gas station opened for me by some gang members. I never stopped anywhere near there again.

I have stopped at the SHEETZ you mentioned and the liquor store nearby plenty of times. I spent the night near exit 146 once because I got caught in an ice storm. I can't recall ever feeling uncomfortable in Roanoke although I'm sure there is reason to be.

My usual route was to take exit 150A onto Cloverdale Rd/220 to 460. 460 to Appomattox, then 24 to 60 near Buckingham. 60 to Powhatan, then 522 to 711 which pretty much takes you to the State Farm where the prisons are. 711 also takes you out to the Chesterfield area. Best time I ever made was 5.5 hours and it takes me an hour just to get to Bristol.

I come from the sticks myself and I will never live in town, much less an urban area unless I have no other choice.

Back